4x10 + amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by honda29, Feb 8, 2009.

1. honda29

honda29

Feb 6, 2009
    okay right now i use an Ampeg BA115, it does alright for what i do, but i feel underpowered alot. Well before i go any further, i play weekly at our church, every wednesday night for the senior high, and sundays for the main service. Im usually good for the senior high room, but in the auditorium i need more. So, i 99% sure i want a 4x10, then maybe down the road throw a 1x15 under it. But i need some reccomondations on a cab and amp.

Keep in mind though, that im a junior in highscool = small budget. I played the GK 410 GLX at guitar center and really liked it, would that be an okay setup paired with the backline 600? the total for those two was $600 i think, i could probably get it down to at least $500. What are some other good setups around that price range, or a little more, that pack a punch??

2. that'll work, the backline is a good solid head, especially for the price. you'll be replacing the cab long before the amp!

3. honda29

honda29

Feb 6, 2009
    okay thanks. you know, i just kinda wanted to see if there was other stuff out there, because at guitar center they only carry select brands. so you can be tricked pretty easily.

4. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    For cheap
    What about Peavey or Hartke

5. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Check out avatar cabs, especially used.

Heck, I'm kinda thinking about selling my Ampeg 810 to get a couple of their 412's.

6. honda29

honda29

Feb 6, 2009
    are they decent cabs though?

im assuming you have a bigger range on cabs, you know like buying a cheap one. And the amp is where it's at.

wow they have a neo cab for 439. Any word on this? I like it with the orange =]

7. Best bet is to buy used IMO, You'll get better equipment with the same amount of money. Bottom of the line anything isn't going to suit you for very long i would think. Plus the backline 600 is fairly unreliable from what i have seen.

Id say avatar is a good way to go. Go and try out the good stuff to see what you like, then try to find it used here. good luck!

8. honda29

honda29

Feb 6, 2009
    ^ what head would you reccomend then??

9. au contrair, my good sir, the backline amps get a good amount of love round these parts.

I would say, if you're open to buying used, DO IT. it's a much smarter way to spend your money. If you're just messing around and just getting into bands then you'll be good with pretty much anything that works.

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Take a look at Carvins website carvin.com. Excellent gear at a really good price point. Try the stuff at home if you like it keep it or send it back for a full refund.

Paul

11. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I'm sure all advice above is good.
    Most of us started with Peavey gear, It is solid, reliable and priced to get you into it.
    I have used all Hartke gear before.
    The 4.5XL is a good cab.
    Sounded great with a 3500 head

12. I'd recommend looking in the direction of a markbass LM2. 500 watts (decent headroom for the future) and they sound good IMO. Ive only tried them in stores but they are great bang for the buck and people rave about them to no end.

And as far as reliability goes for the backline 600, a friend of mine bought one a few years back and only had trouble with it, not to mention it just didn't sound good. Granted this is only one experience, but i just wouldn't recommend wasting your time and money on that product.

Once again, i recommend you go to a local shop and try everything you can. find out what you like, then look for it in the classifieds.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021