Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x10" and 1x 15" cab placement?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by socalpyropunk, Nov 11, 2001.

1. I have the Ampeg B2 combo with the 15" and I just bought the SVT 410HE as an extension cab. Most pictures I see of people with 4x10"s and 1x15"s seen to have the 15" on the bottom. I have been playing with the 4x10 on the bottom and the 15" combo on top. is there a better sound distrobution with the 15" on the bottom or anything..just curious if I should change around the setup.

2. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    well sicne the the 10s are gonna put out more highs, and highs are directional, you want that pointed at your head, ala on top. Also, since the 15 will probably put out more lows you want that near the stage so you can feel yourself a bit more.

3. ok thats what I was thinking..just thought it would be a bit weird with the amp head in the middle of the stack and I know that the top of the combo is not as deep because it wslants in..I have to look into the fit of that.
    also one last question..what is the dial knob on the back of the SVT410HE...exactly what does it adjust?..thanks

4. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    tweeter attenuator?

5. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Traditionally the bigger speakers are placed lower because you get a nice coupling effect. This is why you put the subwoofer for your home theater system on the floor next to a wall, not on a shelf.

If you have a boom box, try comparing the sound it makes when it is elevated, and when it is on the floor. There's a real difference in the bass.

6. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    .....and being only 1 of 2 possible combinations....

you can try 'em out each way.......

-PJR

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I wouldn't recommend stacking the 4x10 on top of the amp and 1x15. I would be afraid the vibration from the 4x10 would shorten the life span of my amp. That's the reason I'm not gonna stack a 2x10 cab on top of my 300T...the vibrations CAN'T be good for it.

8. :confused: ??

What do you thing the 15" speaker and cabinet does to the amp that's housed in it? It causes vibration as well. I'm definitely not going to claim a great deal of knowledge on the subject, but amplifiers, preamps, and most audio gear is built to take a shaking.

As far as the stacking of the 4x10 on top, give it a shot. The only real prob I can think of is if the B2 has a handle on top, then it might be hard to set the other cab on top. Just overall stability of the system, I'd hate to see anything take a fall.

9. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Well obviously, since your B-2 is a combo you don't have an option as far as stacking. What you can do, rather than having the 4x10 on the bottom, is place them side by side.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    dont forget about side by side

ive only seen a few players do this though

11. Actually there is no handle on top..thats for the input guys...I'm gonna try the 4x10 on top at my band practice tommorrow...well as long as the top of the combo is large enough to support the 4x10.
    anymore input on the knob on the back?

12. I'm going with Leper's reply. Prolly the L-pad for the tweeter. Just attenuates the volume. I couldn't find a users manual on the ampeg site..odd.

HTH's