1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4x10 Cab for a GK Backline 600?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dhagler, Mar 6, 2008.

1. The head is rated 300 watts at 4 ohms. I play jazz basses primarily at church, and I may or may not use p.a. support.

Can you recommend a particular cab? And MUST the cab also be 4 ohms?

Thanks for your responses.

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    No, I play mine thru a 8 ohm Sunn 4x10 rated for 300 watts and it kicks butt.

3. Thanks for your response. I read the manual and learned the Backline 600 is rated for 300 watts at 4 ohms AND 180 watts at 8 ohms. So I guess an 8 ohm cab is OK, a good thing because just about everything I see out there is 8 ohms.

4. mitchbass777

mitchbass777

Mar 6, 2008
    fresno ca
    You are right i did some reseach into this amp because i was thinking about getting it.

they do that to get the maximum power when runnig two cabs which will bring the ohms down to 4. if you run just one it will be at 8 ohms. Alot of people run this head for half stacks and fairs well.

my conclsion was to budget impending run two cabs in my case i was gunna run a gk backline 4x10 and a gk goldline 2x10

you can get the goldline 2x10 cab for $224 and the backline 4x10 for $300 through musiansfriend.

I set this up once and it sounded great good lows through the backline and good punchy mids and high from the goldline.

just a suggestion do with it what you will.:bassist:

5. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Personally, I would buy 2- 8 ohm 210 cabs to make your 410, then when you play a smaller venue or practice, you only have to lug a 210.

6. Many thanks for your response. I'm still a little fuzzy on this. If you plug in a single 4 ohm cab how much power should you expect?

7. The backline is a good head to start on because it's like a cute, smart, low-maintenance girlfriend...you dont have to do much to her and she looks and sounds good without much effort from you. Basically get some speaker cables (make SURE to use speaker cables, not instrument ones) that are 1/4" jack and plug one end into the back of the backline head and then the other in the cab.

The ohms thing is complicated, with the backline, just get yourself either an 8 ohm cab, two 8 ohm cabs or a 4 ohm cab. It can handle all of those but just make sure your cab has a decent handling rate (the max wattage it can handle isnt less than the power your head is putting out)

My suggestion is the GK Goldline cabs, they go well with the head because they maintain the definition and sparkle in the high end while giving it good growl when you need it. They are relatively cheap cabs but i use a backline 600, GLX 2x10's and GLX 1x15 and I've turned it up to 5 o'clock many a times at practice for a solid hour...still sounds and plays great. Just be warned, the GLX's are HEAVY, so make sure you got some buddies if you plan on getting the 1x15 or 4x10's...the 2x10's aren too bad =)

**EDIT - Sorry, forgot to answer your question lol!

300 watts from a 4 ohm cab, 180 W (I thought it was 200w for some reason) with an 8 ohm. If you want the full 300W, get two 8 ohm cabs or a 4 ohm cab...best bet is two 8-ohms since 4 ohm cabs tend to be 6x10's, 4x12's or 8x10's cabs...heavy stuff =(

Gospel Bass Player likes this.
  8. mitchbass777

mitchbass777

Mar 6, 2008
    fresno ca
    i got to play some GOLDLINES and for what i do they diddnt have enough low end but they were great for low-mid and above but if they work for you thats great.
    BUT THE BACKLINE did not have that tight punchy sparkle of the highs that is why i had the idea to run both and it sounded really good.

either way i would for sure go with gk backline or goldline for that head.

oh and be sure to run a fan like a small desk fan into your head. they have some overheating problems i guess there is a switch that goes off when they get to hot an it takes a few hours for it to reset.

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I will say this running a 8 ohm cab from a BL 600 in my case the Sunn 4X10 @ 180 watts is Loud with plenty of headroom. I like the idea of splitting it between two 8 ohm cabs to break down into small setups...good idea. I have had my combo for years never has it overheated indoors or out.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

You will get the full 300 watts from the amp.

11. Thanks, DW. It's good to hear from you over here as well as in learngospelmusic.com.

12. Again, you have my thanks. Now I am off to find a cab.

13. Again, you have my thanks.

14. Thanks for your response.