Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x10 Cab for around $400?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassplayerCD86, May 26, 2003.

1. BassplayerCD86

BassplayerCD86 Guest

Jan 11, 2001
    Ontario, CA
    Hi, I'm going to purchase a cab for my amplifier. It is a Hartke 7000 and I have around $400 to spend. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

2. The only company i can think of that's done such a thing is probably Avatar.

~Zentner

3. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    You can usually find some Used cabs on ebay for that price every so often.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i got a sunn 4x10 for $300....

5. I see used SWR goliaths for that scratch all the time. I use 'em and they are grand.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah there are a lot of used cabs that you can get for that jack. Used Goliath, Eden D-410T (perhaps XLT rarely), Mesa, etc...

brad cook

7. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    you can trust the hype on the Avatar product on here...it's legit and the quality is solid.

good luck!

8. godlikenothing

godlikenothing

May 25, 2003
    IL
    You should look into a Carvin RL410T 4x10 cabinet. They go for $415 on the Carvin website and since they are Carvin's you know that they kick some serious ass.

9. Personally I've never cared for Carvin gear. And Carvin is very hard to resell if you decide you don't like it.

You won't see Carvin stuff on many Pro stages either.
    Peace

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Carvin's speakers and cabs are their Achilles heel. The worst part of their offerings. Guitars, fine. Amps, fine. Speakers, well, quite anemic especially on the lack of low end, and you can do MUCH better for the same money.

11. IMO their (Carvin) PA gear is terrible as well, don't even get me started on their mic's....

12. BassplayerCD86

BassplayerCD86 Guest

Jan 11, 2001
    Ontario, CA
    Thanks, it seems I'll be going with the Avatar. The price is right and I've heard nothing but good news about them.

13. What he said.

14. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    I'm curious.. what is bad about Carvin PA gear (I'm assuming you mean PA amps and/or speakers?)? My friend is looking seriously at getting some Carvin PA gear, but if there are big problems then I wouldn't want him going in blind about them. Gimme the lowdown! He already has enuf mic's tho so don't worry about that... :p Thanks! :bassist:

15. They just don't deliver clear crisp distinct sound. They sound mushy. They don't cut. Put them side by side with JBL, EV, Yamaha, even Community and you will instantly see what I mean. They're cheaper for a reason. Go the extra dollars.
    And again, Carvin is very hard to resale whereas JBL, etc. will always get your money back if you resell.
    Peace

16. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If you are not opposed to a used 4x10 cabinet you might try www.musicgoround.com
    Used Bass cabs sometimes go for a third to half of what you would normally pay for a new cab.
    Try a seach for "410" or for "4x10" on www.musicgoround.com and look for bass cabinet manufacturer names. Another good search would be "bass cab".
    There are several used hartke and peavey cabinets for under $300.

17. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    a used Peavey 410 would be great.

410TX, TXF, or TVX would be great.

nearly indestructible, inexpensive and tuned really low. I can't bring myself to sell my old 410TX, it just sounds so good.

K