1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4x10 cabinet for Fender Bassman?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumpking, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Thumpking

Thumpking

Sep 14, 2010
    Hello all. I am looking for a 4x10 cab for my 1976 Fender Bassman 100W head. I have been looking at the SWR Goliath 2, Eden 4x10, GK 4x10NEO\SBK\BLX\SBX, Ashdown 4x10H. Ampeg 4x10, Agular. I have checked Harmony Central and see mixed reviews on all of them. I play Fender and Ibanez basses with active EQ's. I am planning to bring the head and bass to some local shops to test as well. I really want 2 cabs, 1 4x10 and a 1x15 or 2x12. Thoughts for the Bassman 100 on this?

I have been looking for post here and I have learned quite a bit. Just wanting your thoughts. Thanks for any help. :bassist:

2. Thumpking

Thumpking

Sep 14, 2010
    BUMP

3. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    with only 100W available you will need as much speaker area as possible. Not knowing how high SPL you actually want to achieve and what your tone goals are, its extremely difficult to make a recomendation.

410 plus 115 is a popular, but technically poor combination. Plenty of threads on that one for you to research.

IMO/IME Fender tube amps (I only have experience with SF Bassman / Dual Showman amps) get a bit flabby and loose in the bottom and with the famous classic tone stack that pretty much forces a mid scooped tone, you will want to go with a cab with strong mids and a high smooth roll-off from about 200Hz. The best tone coming from a vintage sealed 2x15 with JBL K140's. Or any box which has a similiar roll-off.

Keeping that in mind, the SWR Goliath is probably the very last box you want to use with it's wide, deep and upper mid scooped tone profile. Not a good match IMO.

A number of interesting cabs to choose from... from Bergantino NV or HS series to fEarful 15/6 Tube with one port closed.

Dont't forget to post pictures :)

4. Thumpking

Thumpking

Sep 14, 2010
    Thanks. I have read quite a bit here on the 15+4x10, but not real consesus that I found would be better combination. I want the low end there as well as the punch of the 4x10's. I know that the 4x10's can deliver more low end than they used to.

If the 4x10+1x15 is not technically proficient, what would you recommend for a 2 cabinet setup?

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    2x 410's, or 210/15, or 2x 212's, all good pairings.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021