1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4x10 Cabinet Recommendations for an Aguilar DB 750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Swatkins, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Swatkins

Swatkins

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Hi Folks,

Just picked up an Aguilar DB 750 and I'm fishing for some recommendations for an accompanying 4x10 cabinet. I'm looking for something punchy, not too "hi-fi" and it has to have the Neutrik Speakon connectors.

Gear-wise, I'm putting a Warwick Streamer 5-string and a '72 Fender P-Bass (w/ flatwounds) through the amp, and I'm also running synth bass through the amp as well.

Genre-wise, it'll be mostly R&B, soul, hip-hop music. Looking to get a punchy, warm, colored (not transparent) tone with lots of ass.

Questions, comments, suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Adam Wright

Adam Wright

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Mike Lull Basses, Roscoe Basses, 64 Audio IEM, SIT Strings
    Aguilar DB410 fits what you describe.

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i would suggest GS410 or GS412. aggie cabs and aggie heads work great together. i think the GS series would better suit your genres.

4. tellis

tellis

May 6, 2005
    Birmingham Al
    Hey go with the bergantino 322. I promise you will be satisfied. This cabinet is designed to take heads with high power.

5. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    brian at the low end has a cool aguilar 4-10 in right now.

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Definitely the GS412. Huge, like the girls in a JayZ video,booty!!!! Got enough snap for the slap as well.

7. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
  8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Sadowsky SA410. It'd mate perfectly with the big DB...

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    A big +1!

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Acme Low B4 Series II works well also!

11. Swatkins

Swatkins

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the replies, all.

I was under the impression that the Aguilar DB series cabinets were better suited to vintage-sounding soul, R&B than the GS series.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

GS series- hi-fi, clear, crisp
    DB series- throaty, warm, deep

Please weigh in and let me know. I'd love to find the best cabinet to go with this amp, so I'm not totally committed to just Aguilars. I'd have to travel to Seattle from Portland in order to hear the really high-end stuff, though (Epi, Berg, Sadowsky, etc.)

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    + a frickin' million.

tried the Sad 410 w/ the 750 @ bass specialties, and nearly fell over at how terrific they sounded together. fat, yet hifi punch.

liked it more than the 750/epifani (punchie, not very deep sounding), 750/aguilar (nice sound, but the sadowsky was like a sterioded version), 750/db series (nice rounded punch, not enough high end articulation for me).

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    IMHO,

considering how much money you're gonna be spending, i think a trip to seattle would be well worth it. :cool:

14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    GS410 or the Berg 322. I would look at the 322 1st

15. +1 in a big way. I would think the HT322 would be a little too open in the low end for the quite wide low end of the DB750. The Sadowsky410 has a very tight, punchy low end that would match up very well with the DB750 if you are looking for a more articulate, punchy tone versus the huge extended low end of the HT322. It's MUCH easier to Schlep also.

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    That would be magnificent - such a tight clear deep cab, combine it with the width, character and sheer power from the Aguilar and you get one hell of a monstrous rig - and despite the Acme's notorious inefficiency with that much power behind it it'll go as loud as any 4x10" whilst pushing more bottom.

Alex

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 on the SA410. This would probably be my first choice. I have also tried the EA NM-410 with the DB 750, and it was also a very impressive combination. I have not tried this, but I would also think that the Acme Low-B4 would be great with the DB 750. :)

18. Swatkins

Swatkins

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Fully agreed, I'm planning on making the trip to Bass Northwest as soon as possible.

The Sadowsky sounds really interesting, I'm definitely looking for even response, punchy and tight sound. Thanks for all the input guys, you've really got my motor running! :hyper:

19. I visited Bass Northwest last year while there on business.
    Very impressive shop! They were friendly with no pressure. :) Man, they had a lot of stuff.
    I ended up buying my UL410 from them this year (they had the best price) and I live in Florida.
    Wish they'd open a branch shop here (maybe that's not so good an idea - I'd spend WAY too much time there) :D

20. Swatkins

Swatkins

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I just spoke with the guys at Bass Northwest; they were extremely helpful, and quick to respond via email. Unfortunately, they don't have the Aguilar DB series or the Sadowsky cabinets in stock.

Would I be better off buying from an online retailer and returning the cab if it doesn't meet my expectations, or should I just go and buy one that I can physically hear. I REALLY wanted to be able to hear the Aggies and the Sadowsky cabs in person, but I think I'm essentially SOL in the Pacific NW. :crying: