Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x10 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Dec 13, 2001.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Can anyone recommend a good sounding 4x10 cabinet that doesnt cost a whole lot? It doesn't need to be the highest quality but I want it to sound pretty decent. I was looking at Speakerhole.com but they're so cheap and if they're that cheap can they really be that good?

P.S. I would be using a Workingman's 2004 Head

2. Used Eden XLT. Awesome. Or, if you like the ampeg sound, A used Ampeg. eBay is great. ; )

3. I dig the sound of the Ampeg BSE410HLF but they are pricey unless you can scope one on ebay.

Check your Private Messages. ;)

4. I looked at the Speakerhole.com site.

My first concern would be the construction. It looks like those are made of particle board. Notice how there are no weights published. Particle board actually does OK for the sound, but 1) it is very heavy and 2) it is not very sturdy. If you drop a particle board cabinet, it may well fall to pieces.

You can't tell how they would sound without hearing them. They might be OK.

If you wanted some speakers that you never have to move, these might be a cheap way out. I would not get them for gigging.

The Madison cabs looked a little better but you would really have to try them to be sure.

One thing I'll say, they are cheap. They may do OK in a stationary environment. I would ask them about the construction and the weight specs.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    At the prices of speakerhole.com you could probably buy it, try it and if you don't like it, sell it and get most if not all of your money back. Just a thought. ;)

6. I did some more checking.

I went through the ordering process at speakerhole for the 4x10 cab. They wanted $60 to ship it UPS.
    That's half the cost of the cab.

I checked the Carvin site. They want 29.99 to ship their 4x10.

That Speakerhole must be one heavy cab.

7. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I have a Carvin 2x10, and I would estimate that their 4x10 is a decent cabinet for the money. Note, however, that its low end response is pretty lame and it's not that efficient. If you have a lot of power to drive it (or a relatively quiet band), it might work well for you. If you get the Carvin now, you could add a better "sub" with a 1x15, 2x15, or 1x18 later if you wanted to beef up the bottom octave.
    - Mike

8. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Keep saving until you can get either an Eden 410XLT or the Aguilar 410. A 410 is the most versatile cab you can get and these two are the best 410's. If you settle for less, sooner or later you'll be trading up.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i love the swr goliath 4x10.

jason

10. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    OK let me ask all of your opinion on what is the best 4x10 with a good price that isn't really expensive?

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    That depends on your budget.

The answer might be Speakerhole, Carvin, Peavey, Eden, SWR... who knows?

You need to define expensive, because expensive to you may have a different meaning than expensive to me.

12. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    fender bassman 4x10. very very punchy cab. try one out. they are way underrated i think. i hear carvin makes good stuff but ive never tried em out. carvin.com

13. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Under 500?

14. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Oh by the way... the music center here deals in nothing but peavey stuff but nothing but combo amps. No cabinets or heads... pretty dumb.. so I don't know how I would obtain one.

15. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    the fender goes for 399 and i think the peavey is the same price. dont remember for sure. but im pretty sure the peavey is under 500. the peavey sounds really good too. deeper than the fender but not as punchy. check em both out.

16. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Not to get off topic but Gabu where does your band play? You sound alot like a cover band I heard in Walker, Minnesota... could just be a coincedence.

17. I recently bought a peavey 4x10 cabinet, the one someone in a previous reply mentioned. I am running this cabinet with a Hartke 3500 head. For the money I have wrapped up in this setup, it is excellent. Good highs, good lows without distorting, and it will get loud. I play punk music, so I like it loud and fast (and crappy). When I play a small to medium sized show with this combo (a club type venue), I turn the master volume on the amp at a little under 2 (out of 10). I am doing just fine keeping up with our loud-ass guitar player at this volume. A local music store matches prices, so I found the cheapest prices for these items on the internet and took them into the store. I have under a thousand bucks in the whole setup, brand-new. About $400 for the amp and $510 for the cabinet. The hartke 3500s are easy to find used on Ebay too. Anyway, just what I would suggest for a good priced but quality combo.

Oh yeah, the Peavey cabinet is a bit big and heavy, I built a cart that has casters on it to make moving it easier.

18. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've got 2 speakers from speakerhole (1x15 & 2x10) and they are solid plywood, not particle board. I've got the eminence versions, not the generic(?). They are also packed *extremely well*, one reason why the shipping/handling costs a bit. The 2x10 is 28.5 kg(~60lb), the 1x15 is ~ 24kg (~50lbs). They perform extremely well for the price. I've used them in auditoriums for musicals, Jazz concerts, used them in a club once (you know, the usual college bassist performance venues). They have that "pound you in the sternum" punch that I've always taken as a sign of a good speaker. They sound very good, and they don't distort. And I've never had any complaints about not being able to hear the bass ;)

19. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Avatar, best performance for the price. I have played a ton of different cabs and for the money, these can't be beat PERIOD. Others here on Talkbass who have bought em agree also. Check out my review links....

Link 1

Link 2

Nuff said.....

20. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    How about the SWR Workingman 4X10? I have the 1X15 and 2X10 and am very pleased with them. You may be able to find one used for 300 - 400. New would be about 500 or so..