Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x10 cainets- SWR versus Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jchikhale, Feb 26, 2002.

1. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just picked up an Eden d-410t for such a steal that i am already considering the cabinet i want to add on. i know i love the swr big ben cabinet- that thing f'n rocks, but i am not sure that sticking with another 4x10 wouldnt be such a bad idea??

Anybody?

and if adding another 4x10, another eden 410? or might a goliath add something interesting to the mix?...

Jonathan

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, the Big Ben would be a nice compliment. I'd also consider an Eden D115XL with that cab.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

For a long time, my speakers consisted of an Ampeg 2x10 on top and a Mesa/Boogie 2x10 (w/EV) on the bottom. The Mesa seemed to have cleaner high and low, while the Ampeg had better warmth/punch/growl. Both of them combined sounded *much* better than each individually.

Now I'm running a pair of SWR Goliath Jr's. I'm satisfied with the tone... and the stacklok corners mesh nicely! But sometimes I wonder if I'd be even better off combining one SWR with an Ampeg, Eden, or other brand.

P.S. One caveat to running different cabinets: even with impedance the same, one might be more efficient than the other. In the example above, the EV's were much more efficient than the Ampeg speakers... and maybe the fact that the Mesa cab was on the ground made the discrepancy even worse. Wasn't a big deal; I compensated by running one side of my stereo amp louder than the other. But it would've been a problem if I was running mono.

4. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    So its the 410t?? The unported one???
    If i was you i would get another Eden! Maybe the 410xlt! The frequency response quoted on the eden website says that the 410xlt has lower lowend than the 115!
    It all depends if you like the sound of 15's. I personally dont so i would go with another 410!!
    If you get the 410xlt you may find it louder than the 410t due to the higher sensitivity!

5. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 410t obviously has less bass response than the xlt- look at the cabinet size. most cabinets are undersized for what they should be for optimal performance. i knew this going in. i always planned on adding another caninet to compliment this one with fatty low end.

plus the deal i got htis one for- i couldnt pass up. maybe i'll turn around and sell this one and go for the eden 410xlt. i dont know.

but if i do that, which would be better? an swr golliath or an eden xlt??

6. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    When i was shopping around for a 410 i tried Eden, SWR, Peavey, Ampeg, Old carvin, Mesa-Boogie and a lab systems 410.
    I picked the Eden. I still have it still love it!! It was the best 410 i found!

7. I played the 410t last tuesday..the amp was also SWR (I do not know wich type) but it could not provide me the "oemf" that I wanted .. the tone was realy nice, but the "heavy" sound was nowhere to find.. was it the amp or is it just the 410T ?
    ow..I played it with my Warwick F.N.A. JAzzman 5 ..

8. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    it could be the head. it could also be the bass, and just not the right head/cabinet combination for your bass. also preamping could need tuning.

9. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    I have a D410t that i bought as a good deal. It sounds real nice just lacks the way low end. So I paired it with a D215XL and it just slams lots of punch,clarity and low end. Oh and by the way the D410T is ported just that it's rear ported. One things for sure these cabs smoke the BW Peavey's I use to play through JMO.