4x10 dilema, HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Jan 9, 2001.

1. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    You've probably seen my threads that are almost always about Hartke, Hartke, Hartke; but I need your help guys.

This is my current status: I will buy the Hartke 3500 head.
    Now, I have to decide between these 4x10's. Note that I live in Puerto Rico so the cab's prices will probably be expensive compared to the US due to the added shipping charges.

Hartke 410BXL (about $700) I tried out the 4.5XL and I liked it, but I've never tried another one so I can't compare.

Peavey 410TX (from $430-450).

Ampeg BSE410HLF (about $660) It's 4 ohms so I can't add another cab.

I've seen a lot of these cabs on websites for a lot less, but the average shipping costs to send them here to Puerto Rico is about $150, it sucks I know.

If you can suggest another cab feel free to speak.

2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    The Carvin Redline 4x10 is pretty damn nice for the price.. Costs $399 before shipping.. Might wanna check em out =] I love the one I own and it's 8 ohm..
  3. bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    the best 8ohm 4x10 cabinet you can buy is the swr goliath 3, have a nice day
  4. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I second that. The SWR Goliath III is the best sounding 4 X 10 I have ever heard. You can get one for less that $700 if you shop around.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When it comes to 410 cabs, there's never a dilemma. Eden D-410XLT. However, given the constraints, I think the Hartke 4.5XL would be the way to go.
  6. LeMonJello420

LeMonJello420 Guest

Jan 9, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    If you're thinking about the Ampeg, spend the little extra cash and go for the Classic series 410hlf. Also if you liked the 4.5 from Hartke, chances are you'll be dissapointed by the 410BXL
  7. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I am with you Munji, I own 2 D-410's that sit on top of my 118's. The best i have ever played. But of those choices, go with the Hartke.
  8. bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    no don't go with hartke,
    go with swr or eden,
    aluminum cone drivers just plain suck,
    take it from me,
    i bought one
    hated it
    and sold it
  9. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Eden D410XLT or the SWR GoliathIII are the industry standards...and for good reason. Hartke speakers can only re reconed by Hartke. Since you live in PR, this will be expensive when you blow a driver...which happens to Hartke's often...that's why you don't see them on tour as much as you did a few years back. I'm partial to Eden, but the Ampeg would be my choice of those you listed.
  10. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I owned a Hartke 3500 head...it didn't have enough headroom (using an Eden 410) unless I used BOTH the tube AND transistior preamp volumes. Plus, the midrange is harsh.

Also, you should be able to get the Ampeg 410 in either a 4ohm or 8ohm version.

Don't be like me and spend more money in the long run trying to save money in the short run. I'm on my 4th amp (Eden WT800) and 6th cabnet configuration (Eden 2-12 and 4-10). Oh the money I could have saved if I had gone straight for the good stuff in the beginning instead of: Crate...Ampeg...Hartke...Eden
  11. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    <B><I>Geez - if you think those prices are expensive you should see what they ask for that in the UK. It is practically rape compared to what U pay!

I used to have a Hartke Model 7000 head which I though sounded quite nice. I was using this through a Peavey 410TXF. Quite a good sounding combination but it took a fair bit of tweaking to get just right.

Given the wallet required, I would personally go for Eden. Everyone rants on about them, and from what I've heard, with good reason too! I would have Eden myself if it didn't cost £40000000 per item.

Cheers - Niggy

http://www.thehaze.co.uk - Funk Phenomenon

12. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well I really would like to try an Eden cab, but they don't have them here in PR. Is it true that going with Hartke is a risk because of their aluminum cones?????? Would I be better of buying an Ampeg, Peavey or another paper speaker brand????

Please keep helping me and give me all the advice you can. These are the brands that are sold in the stores I go to here in Puerto Rico: Ampeg, Peavey, Gallien-Krueger, Hartke, Laney, and I think there's a store that sells SWR but they're expensive.

Well feel free to tell me which cab you prefer but if it is an Eden, tell me another one based on the brands I just posted.

Thanks to all...
  13. bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    afro dude,
    take my advice,
    stay away from aluminum cone drivers and hartke,
    and peavey,
    u said they had gallien krueger stuff at the stores where u live, they make very good heads and cabs,
    a close runner to the ampegs swrs and edens,
    try out some gk stuff,
    i'm sure you'll be happy.
    oh yeah
    and have a nice day
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you abuse anything it will break. Period.

Given that, in over 20 years of live playing, I have never had to have a speaker reconed. I have never blown an amp, I can't remember the last time I've blown a fuse. I attribute this to using equipment that can easily do what I need it to do. I've seen someone call a 1-12 combo crap because it blew while they had it cranked as the sole bass sound source on a live gig with a loud drummer. Pretty bright, huh? Like running a John Deere riding mower in a stock car race. POS!

I used Hartke cabs for years with zero problems. I only stopped because I got tired of dragging too much gear around to get a sound I could get with less.

afroman, how loud will you be playing? Do you think you may need more than one cabinet? Will you be playing with a PA?

Answer these and you might get responses tailored to your situation instead of the usually line. Of the three cabs you've mentioned, the Ampeg's 4 ohm rating would keep you from easily using it with another cabinet. The other two should be fine.

How is the used market in Puerto Rico?
  15. marcopolo

Dec 1, 2000
    I've been using a Hartke 3500 head for few years through two Peavey 15's. Loud but not refined enough.... no definition. When I a/b cabinets, I loved the 4-10 option for quality, not quite the quantity. I've done the math on the surface area issue and the 4-10s are about 90% the two 15s.... so no surprise on loudness. Now for which 4-10 cab, I a/b/c/d a bunch. For my "ear-taste", I went with the Ampeg Classic series (8 ohm)(not the LF, but maybe should have). The others were Genz-Benz 4-10XB, SWR Goliath III, Ampeg Pro 4-10H, Peavey 4-10, Eden 4-10XLT. But you still need to consider your guitar. With my 66 PBass - WOW. With my 98 4003 - not as WOW, but fine. In all instances, I use the tube preamp exclusively and rake back the mid on the EQ (don't add, take away is how I use EQ) and add a little on the bass contour. Anywho, the Ampeg came at a good price after Xmas with everyone wanting to do their inventories... buy soon. Marcopolo
  16. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I won't be playing really loud, i play mainly latin rock, american rock, ska, reggae and pop. I would probably be running through the PA (you know the life-long feud bassists vs. soung guys; it all depends). For now I will just need one cab. Stores here ussually don't sell used stuff.

More info: I play an Epiphone Thunderbird IV. The only amp I have is a Peavey TKO 115 and I use a SansAmp BD DI which makes this mediocre gear sound much better.

Thank You for your reply...
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    For what you're talking about, with the Thunderbird IMO any of the three will work with your amp. I've used all three and got solid bass with each so, unless you're going for some huge, unassisted bottom playing reggae (in which case I'd suggest looking at a good 15" cab) they should be okay.
  18. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Last summer I saw Canned Heat in an outdoor concert and Larry Taylor was using a Hartke 4 X 10 and a Hartke 1 X 15, both of the aluminum cone variety. If it is good enough for him, it should work for you.

I never got to talk to him so I don't know why he was using that paticular set up. It sounded damn good I might add.