Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x10 on bottom, 1x15 on top - taboo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terser, Feb 28, 2003.

1. terser

terser

Dec 23, 2002
    South Jersey
    Is it sacrilege to put my 1x15 on top of my 4x10? The 4x10 has casters which elevate it and the 1x15 has none. I really don't want to put either cabinet directly on the floor because we just had flooding in my area last weekend and I was just able to get to the cabinets (and my basses:eek: ) just before the water got to them. I want to be ready in case this happens again. Will I lose substantial low end with this configuration?

2. yes. the subwoofer sounds best when it is on the ground, as you want the bass frequencies to project low along the floor. the 410s are made to project the sound out at a higher frequency, and in order to make it travel its furthest, youd want it on top.

plus it'd sound bad.

3. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I've been thinking about using this type of setup as well. You'll definitely lose the coupling you'd get between the 15 and the floor, but that also depends on what kind of material it's sitting on (in order of likelyhood: hollow wood stage, concrete, metal, glass, ice, flesh :D ).

Try it and see what happens. There's always the EQ.

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Sometimes i switch cab positions like that when boomyness is a b****. In my experience when a room was boomy, putting the 15 on top eliminated the problem and the 4x10 was a little more bass heavy(presumably because of wht was causing the boom earlier.) It also let me plug and play instead of fiddling with my finnecky EQ.

5. terser

terser

Dec 23, 2002
    South Jersey
    I had a feeling the TalkBass Collective would say that. Well, I guess I will take off the 4x10's casters and put the 1x15 on the floor (concrete) and the 4x10 on top. There is a bright side. The 1x15 is an SWR Workingmans, but the 4x10 is a fine Eden D-410t that I just picked up today. I guess if I have to lose something to the next flood, I won't mourn the 1x15 as much. One last shot, can I at least put the 1x15 up on bricks or something without losing the lows? I only need about a two inch elevation to be safe.

6. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    I believe pieces of wood would be ok.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd go to the hardware store and get some casters for the 15.

8. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I second that.

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I always put my 1x15 on top of my 2x10. It sounds best to me. I think it's because my 15" has a coaxial tweeter and the tweeter in my 2x10 is always off.

Don't ask us. Try it and see if you like it. If you don't, find an alternative placement. If you do, :bassist:

10. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Yo Terser,

With all due respect to those who have answered before me, I say...phooey! :D

The only question that really needs to be asked is this: Have you tried setting it up that way......with the 15 on top? If not, why not?

Here's a nifty game that we can all play....at home.....with friends or bandmates. The winner gets a box of Twinkies!!!

Have your buddies blindfold you, begin playing your bass and then have them rearrange your cabs without you knowing how they're arranged. No CHEATING!! OK..........how much sonic difference did it make as to how they were set up??? :D

I'm serious about trying it. I have.......and I'd love to know what difference you actually hear.

Peace,
    RB

11. terser

terser

Dec 23, 2002
    South Jersey
    The whole setup sounds much better with the 1x15 on the bottom. Less boomy and I got my growl back. Man, that Eden sounds nice! I can see why you all rave about them. The casters are off of the 4x10 and new ones go on the 1x15 this weekend. It's sitting on wood in the meantime but I don't expect anymore flooding. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post.

12. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Jondog...we were both posting at the same time and I didn't see your reply......YOU WIN THE TWINKIES!!!!

The entire membership of Talkbass rises to its feet as thunderous applause resonates throughout Cyber Space!! :D

RB

13. terser

terser

Dec 23, 2002
    South Jersey
    As I'm in Philly, it's going to have to be Tastycakes for the winner. Also, the 1x15 setup on top was probably too boomy from my perspective as I stand right next to this stack when I practice.

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :eek: But, but, but..... that thing weights more than me! Put the wheels back on before you ruin your back. Maybe turn it on it's side when it's on top of the 15 so it doesn't roll off.

15. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Too bad about the Twinkies, Terser. Do TastyCakes taste like something from the bottom of a bathtub drain as well?? :) Will the other folks in your band consume them with great glee?

T---do an old guy a favor and try the experiment anyway........from 15' in front of your rig.............like you were actually playing a gig. :bassist:

RB

16. sadly iam stuck with a crappy 4x10 cab and a carvin 1x15 combo. i keep the 15 on top for space when its on top i get the like metal sound like that kill my ears when i slap and pop unless i use the built in compressor(iknow i cant spell).like i cant explain it. i all so noyice my bass sounds tighter will a slight drop in the lows

17. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    either put the thing on its side like pete said, or even put the casters on the side, which IMO is kinda stupid....But if you want it to be sitting upright when its on top of something.... then....ya.....I dunno, but I've seen it done.

18. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Cool! I find my twinkies sound best when they are on top of my 1x15, but they kept vibrating off, so I stuck 'em under the handle. :D

19. terser

terser

Dec 23, 2002
    South Jersey
    I brought this on myself, I know. Here is my attempt at saving what little face remains:

1) I think set-ups that have cabs on their sides with the casters sticking out look absurd and I will not do that. Purely, aesthetical. I did not want to get into the habit of taking the casters off and on because they tend to get loose from doing that. I would not be doing it that much anyway (see below) so the point is probably moot. Well, that didn't help save face.

2) I also had tried both configurations and liked the 4x10 on top but did not want to get the 1x15 wet in a slightly flooded basement just sitting on the floor. I am getting the casters for it this weekend. That point wasn't much of a good recovery either.

3) You're right, there is a definite difference 15' away from the amp and cabs which is how it would be in a band. I have not been in a band since my punk band in the 70's (The Dry Heaves). More attitude than chops. I did have a beautiful '68 precision and bassman silverface tube amp/cab setup which made anything sound good. I think I was just into it for the good times and girls back then. Both of which were in abundance and a simple shot of penicillin could cure whatever you caught. So I sort of forgot that point and have since moved further away. It takes some getting used to.

After a loooong hiatus, I began taking lessons again about 18 months ago and sometimes even sound musical. So no band, just me and a drum machine and some books in a basement.(boy, that really sounds pathetic). Maybe, there will be a band again, it seems like everyone needs a bass player. But this time around I want to have some idea of what I am playing instead of just pounding on the thing. Plus, I think the bass has moved to the front of the band in the last 30 years and in a lot of ways defines the music in a much greater sense than just the rhythm section so I would want to do it justice. Right now, rehearsals and gigs would probably not be the easiest thing with a full time job and two young kids although I see a lot of you guys doing it. Well, I didn't nail the dismount so this exercise seems futile, too.

BTW, Tastycakes rule.

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    1x15 on top of a 4x10 is a great way to use them. alot of 15's are to boomy, or sound like "MUFF". I have an older black widow cab i put on top of my 4x10. the 4x10 has the best lows, it doesnt have the most, maybe, but it has the best. The 15 I use for high and low mids. it works great this way(useing it for low and high mids) and it sounds just fine. the whole "You should put the bigger speakers on bottom thing so that you get more low end" junk is over rated, really. Most of the time, the low end made by your low freqs bouncing off, or vibrating with the floor, or walls, or whatever, is boomy crap.