4x10 on tight budget

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matteran, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    my friend is getting into bass, and wants a 4x10 for around 200. So, i realized he going to basically sacrifice a lot of quality just for the volume producing qualities of a 4x10.

I have a few cabs on eBay that are in a good price range, but most of them are no names, and i just want your opinions, maybe you've seen them before.

Cab 1: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=3780878500&rd=1

Cab 2: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23794&item=3781945457&rd=1

Cab 3: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=3780743366&rd=1

I'm thinking of suggesting an amp with 350 watts, that's what i have and it pushes a 4x10 very nicely. But my pre-amp is pretty godly for the price i got it for.

But I'm probably going to suggest all solid state for him, i think he plays punk. I would say ampeg, but that's kind of a lot. I'll just keep an eye out for lesser known 350watt heads to come on eBay, that's how i got my amp for 200 dollars and i love it.
  2. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    what about an amp like this?

Tube pre-amp, the issues are pretty meaningless. Pop in a new tube, replace the led, and it should be good, however he toured with it, so it could be on it's last limbs.

There are a lot of different condition amps of this make, so is this a good amp? Seems pretty good for the price, and considering that the guy isn't going to be too tone concious, but should allow some nice warm tube tones to come through.
  3. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    if you are in a major city look at local for sale ads www.craigslist.com , and save on shipping. I made a 2 hour (4 hour round trip) and scored a hartke 410XL for 150, pulled the speakers and painted it with truck bed liner! Beleive it or not it looks great and plays like new. There are deals to be had if patience is on your (or your friends) side. I try to keep a few hundred available for that deal of a lifetime.
  4. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    For punk music, an old Traynor YBA-1 might do the trick, he would be able to get a nice grinding sound out of that amp, especially if he plays with a pick...
  5. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    good suggestion, i live an hour away from san fran.
  6. I play punk, got a second hand Peavey Firebass 700 and 410tvx for £500 altogether, might be a bit pricier than hes wanting, but dont diss peaveys, built to last :p
  7. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    anyone have any thoughts on the cabs i posted above?
  8. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    The 2nd linked cab looks pretty sweet. It looks well built and it says it will handle over 1000 watts. I would go for that. But that's just me.
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

if you look carefully they all have sensitivities of 96-97 dB. Usually a 410 will have a sensitivity of 103-105 dB.

what does this mean? for every 3 dB decrease in a cabinet's sensitivity, it needs twice the watts to sound as loud as one 3 dB higher. In the case of these cabs they would need four times the wattage to sound as loud as most 4x10 cabs. Generally 200 watts is preferable to do well in a rock band with a 4x10, but now your pal will need 800 watts, and those amps are expensive. IMO, 200 bucks is much better spent on a used peavey or comparable brand (as long as the drivers are good).
  10. Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Look into Sonic or Peavey. Yes, you heard me right, Peavey. For that price range, you can easily find a 410TX cabinet. I used a Peavey 410TX for years, they're cheap, rock solid dependable, and sound pretty good. I've also been impressed with Sonic cabs as well.
  11. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I would save up for an Avatar 4x10 if they are still available. I've bought these things loaded and unloaded and couldn't have been happier. The Avatar 4x10 can handle a lot of power in case you upgrade to a good head later. ;) ;)
  12. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'd tell him to pick up an Avatar 210 for now, and start saving up for a 115 to add later. Or possibly in reverse. There are occaisionally Avatars on eBay.

Dont skimp and get a low-brow cab.... it wont be worth it in the end. At LEAST get somewhat respectable gear.
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I do!

Cab 1) Crap
    Cab 2) Crap
    Cab 3) Crap

You notice how noone bid on those auction? Come on dude, don't let your buddy buy that garbage. As suggested by someone else, start off with an Avatar 210, and build from there. If he picks up a gig in the meantime and needs a 410, perhaps you could loan him yours.

14. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Word to that. You have to start building somewhere.... cuz there's really no shortcuts to spending money. Avatar is the way to go when your low on the money.

Avatar B210 or B112. Take a look for yourself... its just worth the money, compared to the eBay options.
  15. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
  16. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    i have the avatar 2x10 and really like it. Those cabs you listed are probally gunna be pretty bad. I would say get the avatar and then a 15 later. This summer im looking at getting a bag end 15.
  17. That third cab is a piece of trash. My friend had one of those and it sounds like garbage, plus it weights 120 pounds and is bigger than any 4 x 10 you will ever find. It is a piece, don't buy it.
  18. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    +1 for Avatar. The 2x10 and 1x15 option is a very smart one. Flexable so you can choose which to bring or both depending on the environment.

These cabs are built very well and Dave can help you out on ANY question you have about them. I have a 4x10 and I love it. I get comments on it all the time on my sound and the rumble I get out of it.