Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x10 or 1x15 Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by landa, Jan 4, 2006.

1. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    Hello there, I am new in this forum so most probably you talked about this many times.

I currently use a cab with 4 x"10, I would like to change my whole amp & I tought about the Ampeg B1RE & BSE-410H (4x10) as a cab or the BSE-115 (1x15). I chose this amp because is the only one a can afford and easy to carry aroun. I do not own it yet, I need to chose the cab.

I played on many 15" & I really liked the sound, but still many people tell me to get another 4X10 & not a 1x15.

What you guys think? I never owned a 1x15 I just played with them, so do know exactly what they offer.
    Any suggestions?

2. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    The 1x15, along with your 4x10, is a great combination in my most humble opinion. It is the cabinet setup I currently use, and I love how the 1x15 low end augments the 4x10 punch and growl. Two 4x10 cabinets together is also very nice, and a popular combination. The best advice I can give you, is to try the above mentioned combinations yourself, to see which one suites your sonic tastes better.

3. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    You have one 410 cab and are looking for a amp and a second cab?
    In general two 410 cabs will be louder and faster/punchyer than one 410 + 115. The 115 will give you more bass. It`s a matter of taste.
    The Ampeg B1 is not very powerful, so you have to find cabs with high sensitivity.
    The Hartke 3500 is a bit louder and in the same pricerange, and IMO a better amp

Good luck

4. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    I had in mind to sell my current amp with the cab aswell because it is a torque amp (not so good).

I had in mind to buy a whole new rig but with just one cab. My worry is what should I buy, 1 cab 4x10 or 1 cab 1x15. I know 15 give more low end & 4x10 give more punch & obviously combination of both would be a good allrounder sound, but it would be out of my budget.

I'm really confused what to buy. So you guys are suggesting to keep my 4x10 & buy a 1x15? & a new head obviously!

5. funk2live

funk2live

Jan 4, 2006
    I prefer a mix of 10's and 12's. It is hard to cover the full range of a bass with one size of speaker especially for 5 stringers. 10's tend to lack the full bodied low end and 15's tend to be a bit muddy and lack the mids. I prefer a 210 and a 112 stack. Of course style has a lot to do with it too. If your just into funk then 10's should do nicely. But if you have a wide range of styles you should cosider a mix of speaker sizes.

6. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    I play a 5er through a GS212 (Aguilar 2x12) cab. Great bottom, with really punchy mids. And a horn, for the really high end.

~John

7. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Maybe you should get a 2x12 then. I personally don't like a 1x15 by itself. 2x15's sound much better to me, or a 1x15 with a 2x10 or 4x10 (I use a 4x10 and a 1x15 together myself).

I played with a 4x10 by itself for awhile, and if I were to just have one cab, for a half stack, I would choose a 4x10, much louder than a single 15 (for the most part) and if you get the right one, you can have just as much bass.

8. Im the exact same!

For some reason 1x15's just sound "slow" if you know what i mean, lack any punch at all, but with a 2x15, mmmm, just sounds good!

And then, a 2x15 with a 4x10 ontop, thats the shizna ! ! !

9. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    thanks guys!!

so most probably i'll go for 4x10 once again.
    Im abit low in budget, but I do not need anything that loud. with 175/200 watts im fine, for small/medium gigs & recording. For bigger gigs some extra monitoring will help so...

Most probably i'll get the Ampeg B1RE head + BSE-410Hb cab (175watts in power), than maybe one day i'll get a 1x15. That will get me up ro 300watts than.

I play mostly Commercial Pop/rock, I like some overdrive on my sound, so I think i'll be fine.

thanks guys