1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4x10 or 1x15 for my first stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dragoon419, Aug 16, 2007.

1. I'm planning on getting an amp head (probably a hartke 2500 or 3500) and amp cabinet (most likely a single Behringer aluminum cone). I was wondering which kind of cab, 4x10 or 1x15, has the best all around sound and power for a beginner stack.

Thanks.

2. 4x10

3. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    4x10 for sure, but don't get a Behringer, especially not with aluminum cones. Look into an Avatar cabinet if you're looking for bang for your buck.

www.avatarspeakers.com

4. 4x10

Id also look into second hand Peaveys

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1 I'd only buy a Behringer 410 cab for $50 at a garage sale if it was clean. With their reputation I don't know if I'd care to spend money on their cabs.

6. +100
    Avoid Behringer if you value your investment.

7. +1 on the Avatar.

You could also consider a 2x10 or 2x12 and add another cabinet later...

8. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    Definitely look at an Avatar or a used cabinet before a Behringer. Their price may be tempting, but the quality just isn't there. Definitely look for something used.

9. +1 here
    I have a 1x15 and 2x10 stack with a Harke head. I find myself using only the 2x10 many times for smaller gigs and it does a fine job by itself. Plus, if money is an issue you get off much cheaper. Oh and I deffinately would check out Avatar.

10. Paul082

Paul082

Aug 16, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I would go with the 4X10 first. Can always add a 15 down the road. Be careful with the aluminum cone choice, had the 4X10 and 1X15 Hartke's in the early 90's and found the tone, even with good EQ to be "brittle." Good luck and enjoy.

11. Kaxx

Kaxx

Apr 1, 2007
    Columbia, MO 65201
    I'd go with a 410 for starters. Just keep in mind what your lowest possible ohm stability is for your amp. Probably safe to get an 8 ohm 410 cab if your serious about getting a 115 later on down the road since it's a lot easier to get an 8 ohm 15" cab than a 4 ohm. But the problem there is that your only getting half the total output of the amp (depending on the amp of course) if your only using 1 8 ohm 410 cab......so you'd need to be fairly certain about what your future plans are as far as getting the 15 or not.

Edit: I hope this doesn't confuse you, and by all means STAY AWAY from Behringer. I went to the musicians friend outlet store a while ago and was amazed at the wall of Behringer 410's they had from blown speaker customer returns

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Kaxx has a good point here, get your first cab in the 8ohm version, you can add another 8ohm cab later. Hartke's are good to 4ohm, (I used to have one). Read the ohm's FAQ but for most purposes just know that two 8's equals one 4 and two 4's equals one 2. Keep the minimum load at 4ohms and you can run it with any amp on the market new or used. Some will say get low ohm cabs to get more power from your head but don't worry about that, you're not going to gain enough to matter, that goes into SPL increase as related to power increase etc., you're going to get more sound by having 2 cabs instead of one. Not everything behringer makes is junk but their speaker sure are, pony up another $50-$100 and get something decent, Avatar has about the best bang for the buck as far as cabs and you can actually talk to the guy on the phone. Check back with questions, observations, etc.

13. 4 x 10. Brand??? You make the call. But, probably not a Behringer.

14. Kaxx

Kaxx

Apr 1, 2007
    Columbia, MO 65201

Yeah, sorry I should have clarified. I actually didn't mind the Behrenger head I tested. But I'd avoid the cabs.