4x10" or 1x15" for rehearsal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Tomorrow I'm picking up my new rig, Hartke HA5000, and a Peavey 4x10 and 1x15. I'll leave one cab at home, but the other will stay at my rehearsal space. I'll transport the amp in a rack case from my house to rehearsals.

I was just wondering which would be more suitable for a rehearsal? I was guessing the 4x10, to cut through the distorted guitars. The thing is, if I ever had a gig where I could only use the one cab, I'd definitely use the 4x10, and access to my storage room can be limited.

Basically, would the Peavey 115BXBW cut through in a full range setup as well as the 4x10?

2. If you were to use just the 15, you would probably need to tweak your EQ in order to enhance the frequencies (low-hi mids) that do the cutting in the mix. In rehearsal, you'll generally only need personal monitoring and the 15 should be perfect for that.

You might need to set your ego aside, which can be tough. I used to go to practice with my 4x10/1x15 complete stack because I wanted other bands to think I was good. Nowadays, I always leave the largest cabinet at home and tote the smaller one to rehearsal. If that's not loud enough, you have an excuse to tell the guitar player to turn the fxxk down.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    The first time you have a gig, and have to get by with just the 15, it is gonna suck . I'd rather have to compromise at practice than playing out - I really doubt you'll miss it that much.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You've answered your own question. Leave the cab you'll use least often at the rehearsal space...the 15.

My personal attitude is that I don't care one bit what I'm playing through at rehearsals as long as I can hear myself. If I need to leave an amp there, I always have a beater amp around the house for that purpose.