Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x10 or 1x15???????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, Jan 6, 2001.

1. I need a bigger cab than my 2x10, and i thought of these two sizes. I would probably bi-amp and send my highs through the 2x10. I thought that 1x15 were louder and better in handling low freq's, but i tried a 4x10 and also liked it...please HELP!!!!!!!!

2. I was using a 4-10 and a 2-10. I wanted a little different punch, so I got the Eden D215XLT. I also wanted to try the 1-15XLT, but couldn't.

3. Depends entirely on the brand, and what sound you want to hear. As a general rule, the 1x15 gives a fatter bass, and the 4x10 has more punch, but some brands, like Eden, will defy these generalisations. I used a SWR Goliath II 4x10 with a 1x15, but still could'nt get the right midrange I was after, so I've sidelined the 4x10, and now use a 1x12 and 1x15, and it's the best sound I've had so far.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    When I run bi-amped, I use a 2X10 and 1X15...Plenty of lows out of the 1X15. Like ROCKBOBMEL, I found that the 15 gives a different punch that is more to my liking. 4X10 may be your cup of tea though, I can only speak for my preference...

-robert

5. I have been using a Hartke 410XL, but it just didn't have that OOOMPH that I needed. I wanted to find a 2x15 to use with it, but new are WAY too pricey, and used are often too beat up. So.... I went with a Hartke 115XL, and now I have that punch that a 15 gives.
    Tangently speaking... why is it only Eden, and SWR making 2x15's? Did we (bassists) move away from 215 when the 410's started popping up? Or are they just too big and heavy to put in the back of the mini-van?
    Wishin' I still had my old Acoustic from the '70's. Two big ol' JBL 15's and power enough to pin dancers against the wall. heheheh.

6. As far as I know there are also 2x15s from Trace Elliot, Ampeg, Hartke, Laney, Marshall and some others.
    Never tried one but I have used a self-built one from a fellow bassist. I very much liked the sound. Very nice for reggae and slow ska.
    I just missed the plain punch of a 4x10 for the more aggressive songs.

7. Hartke did make a 2-15XL. I remember the old Sunn 2000S with a 2-15 JBL cab. The new Eden D215XL was designed to give that old vintage sound, but at higher levels. See Eden-Electronics.com These cabs have ports on the front. I don't think the old stuff did, exept Kustom.

8. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    If you play a five string, I think the 1x15 will handle the low B better. I know some people say a 4x10 moves more air and therefore gives better bass, but in my experience a 1x15 does the job better for lows. But if you play a 4 string, go for the 4x10.

9. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yeah - I agree with your comment about pinning the dancers! Ampeg still makes a 2x15, and you can get Kustom 2x15 again (although I read the quality may not be as good as the old ones). Mesa/Boogie makes them too, I think. I also think your hunch is pretty good. Once amp heads got to push over 300 watts, bassists started to realize they didn't have to lug around hundreds of lbs. of speakers to be heard. I like the bottom that a 2x15 is capable of. I have an old Kustom 2x15 (and it does have vent ports in front). It has a nice vintage low end sound, but is loaded with 16-ohm speakers and probably won't handle much more than 200 watts. I don't get enough volume out of it. I'm therefore going for the Eden 2x15 - hope to get one shortly.
    - Mike
    BTW - it will fit in my tiny Honda wagon no problem!

10. Hi MikeyD, The cab is 38" high. when I put it in the van, my drummer said I got to buy a truck. It is he only tagalong piece that he has to fit of mine. It is only 9" taller than the 4-10 I had. He's just being a prick. There's plenty of room- you just have to pack smart. I brng my 6 space amp rack, my Acme 2-10, a gadget bag, and my bass i my 81 Zephyr. If I had to, I could put the Eden in my back seat, and the rest in front and trunk. Why can't he just leave me alone? I'm only totally obsessed!

11. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hi, RockBob,
    Sometimes I wonder if people in this country (USA) have forgotten how to load vehicles, judging by the size of them nowadays. I carefully measured my Civic wagon and determined I could fit an Ampeg SVT 810 + my Carvin combo RC210 + an Eden 410XLT + my basses and accessories! And this wagon is lame (space-wise) compared to my old Toyota Tercel wagon! Long ago I had a Ford Club Wagon (econoline van), and I remember putting most of a 19-piece big band's equipment and instruments in it - including Fender's 400-PS bass amp with the big 2x2x4' folded horn, electric piano, guitar amp, drums, etc.!! So, yes, packing smart is the ticket.
    - Mike

12. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i found that a bag end af1a-r or what ever it is called kicks @$$. It has an 18 a 10 and a tweeter. You may want to go with a 15-18 with a 210 or a 110t or something. look into the bag end or a swr triad.

BTW
    mesa also makes 215s

look up posts like "cool stuff at guitar center" or there was one about an 810 in which i posted some good info and many other people.

15-18s will give a full sound w/ long distance, they will p.o. your neighbors. :) :D :p

13. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    heres my opinion, if u want more volume and mid punch, go get an eden or an swr 4 x10 if u want more low end warmth go and get a swr or eden 15, try them out see what u want, there it is plain and simple, btw what kidna head u got?
    have a nice day

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The average 2-15 is just too bulky, it's easier to use two 1-15s. Bring one cab to smaller gigs, stack 'em for bigger ones.

Also amps are more powerful these days. With a 50 watt Bassman, you needed the efficiency of the 2-15 to get any volume. With high power amps you can get big levels out of smaller cabs. Look at those Acme B2 cabs, they have serious bottom end and are light and tiny but to get them loud you need hefty wattage...like over 1000 watts to get rock band levels.

[Edited by brianrost on 01-09-2001 at 06:33 PM]

15. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    The best sound I have come up with is and SWR 4 X 10 Goliath III and an SWR 1 X 18, which has a Bagend speaker.

The 4 X 10 has that wide range punch and the 1 X 18 really moves some air for the lows that people like to feel as well as hear.

With a good amp you can extract just about any desired sound out of this duo. It is going to take about a 400 amp rig to do these cabinets justice.

If you are not low B equipped or if portability is a concern, a 1 X 15 Bagend will suffice.

I think any of the professional quality cabinets such as Eden, Ampeg or Hartke, with similar drivers, will produce an equivalent sound.