4x10 or 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabass89, Jul 5, 2001.

1. I'm getting a Hartke 3500 soon, and I eventually will get a cabinet. I'm leaning between the Carvin RL115 and the Carvin RL410. I'm pretty sure the 410 is the answer, because it's 8 ohm and I want to get another cab later. But will it deliver the lows I want? Lows aren't all I want, but I would like it to sound decent... My band tunes down to D flat.
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well...there's only 1 way to find out if it'll meet your needs: try it out for yourself. Carvin has a trial period, don't they? I'd take advantage of it, if I were you.;)
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    YEAH! But you pay the shipping!!
    So its not a real "Trial Period"
    its about $30 The shipping for each journey.
    I say GO WITH IT.
    I mean.. forget about the trial period!

Now, since you have the 3500, I suggest you mate it with a Hartke 4.5 XL, wich make a perfect match for that head.

Believe me I had a 2000 Head with an Ampeg And I liket it better when using a Hartke Cab..
    and I also liked the Ampeg Cab better when using an Ampeg Head.

4. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    IME.......the 4-10 will be 'faster' , tighter and be able to play louder.

It will also be heavier, cost more $$ and require more power.

If you only plan on having 1 cab and have the $$ , go for the 4-10. That cab will likely satisfy most of your needs.

But.......as already suggested....you need to try out both and determine your needs.

5. I say go for the 4X10 if you can. You'll get a tighter punchier and louder sound. I used nothing but 15's for a while and was never satisfied with my sound...always sounded too boomy and not tight enough...then I tried the 10's and it made a world of difference. They can handle the lows just fine and they'll keep them nice and tight. I have a 2x10 Ashdown combo now that alone well out thumps my 1X15 anyday, and 4X10 is even better.
  6. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    I have a Carvin 4x10, and Carvin 15". I promise you will be much happier wiyh the 4X10, It also has an ajustable tweeter. As far as I am concerned , the only place a 15' sounds good is in a very small dead room. I use an SWR Goliath III 4 x 10 now for Electric and an SWR Strawberry blonde for acoustic. I am going to sell the Carvin 4 x 10 dirt cheap. It also has a tuki cover.
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    i recomend the 4x10's over the 1x15. the 10's cut through better than 15's and give you more definition, (you can hear individual notes better when you do a fill) I agree with Congo, I own the carvin 4x10 and think youll be happier with it over the hartke, Hartke is notorious for blowing speakers. Ive not had a single problem with my carvin since i bought her...imo it sounds much warmer and deeper than a hartke. the choice is yours though...good luck in your quest
  8. I have a 4x10. I am very satisfied with it, its 4 ohms out the back and i plan to add a 15" box underneath it all in the future. I mean, why decide either or and just go for both?! :D

9. I would defiantly go for the 410 in 8 ohms to start with, and then add a 115 when you can afford it.

Together they sound great with my 3500, but if it had to be one or the other it would HAVE to be the 410.

Never tried Carvin cabs, but have been very happy with my Hartke 410 & 115 XL’s.
  10. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    410 hands down. A good 410 gets as deep as a 115 with all the other benefits of a 410 as noted in other posts. That is especially important of you're only going to use one cabinet.
  11. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i personally have the hartke 3500 pumping through the hartke 410xl, and i couldn't be happier. a 4x10 cab will deliver the lows you're looking for, plus it delivers good mids and highs (having the horn on the xl cab doesn't hurt either). basically you're comparing 15" of speaker against 40" of speaker. i personally was never happy with my 15" speaker from years ago. the best advice would be to take your bass and your 3500 to your local music shop and play through a few different speakers and decide what works best for you.
  12. Neither.

Carvin stuffs big drivers into too-small cabinets and kills the low end response. If you are drop tuning down to D, the bottom won't be there. The PS10 and PS15C-4 drivers both require lots of cabinet volume for low end response. Each 10" wants 4 cubic feet, and the 15" wants 8 cubic feet.

Look at something else.
  13. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    IMOE you wont be happy with either alone. The 410's wont reproduce the the drop D, rather the harmonic of it and it will not sound as deep. I favor the bigger cabs as well, portability is a bitch but its a fair trade for the sound I want. But thats my opinion.

14. I'd say go with the 1x15 first, then add the 4x10 later. Single 4x10's may not give you the low response you want. They may sound 'clear' and 'punchy', but usually at the expense of deep lows, at least in my experience. What type of sound are you going for? If you want a bright modern funk tone, the 4x10 may work best. If you're playing heavy rock music, one or two fifteens may work better (or an 8x10, which is a completely different beast than a 4x10). Try out one of each and decide for yourself.
  15. I'm looking for a fairly bright tone, as I play rock, punk, funk and metal. I want a nice punchy tight sound, so I think I will go with the 4x10.

Just a side note....

I can't afford anything more than a Carvin (am not getting used) and just need to be loud with a decent sound. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN WHAT I HAVE NOW. Believe me.

In the future, I will get an 8 ohm 1x15 or something, & that will give me the full 350 watts also.

UPDATE: I can't try both of them. I don't live in California, and can't afford the $30 shipping. I play both Funk AND heavy rock, that's why i am confused. the 4x10 is PROBABLY what I am going to get, but I am having internal conflict.
  16. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    just as a side note, i wasn't necessarily saying you should try the CARVIN speakers, just that you should try different setups at your local music store. they should have a pretty decent sense o' humor. as for carvin, i've never played them (i'm not in california either), but i didn't look into them when i was looking for a rig. from everything i've read, they seem like they'd be a good bang for your buck. i decided that i didn't want to mess with ordering them/trying them out/shipping them back/etc/etc...
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The 410, but not Carvin. At least try an SWR Goliath. Of course, you could try a Triad.