4x10 or 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GillesUnchained, Feb 11, 2006.

1. I play an SVT 8x10 right now, but it's too big to haul to smaller shows. I used to play through a 4x10 and am considering going back to it. But I've noticed a lot of my favorite bass players play through a 15.

I know the basics, that 15s get lower lows and that 10s are capable of highs that 15s aren't. I like my tone with lots of low end, but I like a little edge on it too.

I guess my question is how much will I notices the lack of highs if I play through a 15? And are the extra lows worth the sacrifice?

What about 12s? Do they sound more like 10s or 15s? Is it just like splitting the difference?

And I would mind a few personal opinions too. Thanks! Sorry if this has been covered before.
  2. BassMan Biff

BassMan Biff

Nov 16, 2005
    If you have a 5-string or above, then you need a 15-incher.

Don't think you'll lose highs with that configuration- if anything, you'll just boost them through your amp and all will be fine.

2X12s can be the way to go, but understand they are generally warmer sounding; IE, they might deliver a bit more midrange than you are used to.

When buying a 15 inch in a cab, know that the less you pay, the more you'll pay in tonedom. 15 inch speakers are terrible liars- get a cheap one, it'll sound cheap. Get a good one, and you'll be set. You can get away with murder with 4X10. You can compensate very well with 2X12s. Buy a cheap 15 cab and it will betray you, and there's nothing you can do about it!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting
  3. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Hm, do you still want a full stack? You could join the 4x10 + 1x15 crowd and have a 4x10 for small shows and bring both for bigger shows.

I had sort of planned on doing that, but I always bring both my cabs cause I almost never have PA support, and I like the way it sounds with both cabs.
  4. Needing a 15 inch speaker if you have a 5 string is not true. I have a 2x12 and it gets lower and higher than my 2x15 . It all depends on how the cab was tuned.
  5. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    It depends on the specific cab and driver loaded in it. Some 10s go deeper than some 15s. What amp are you pushing that 8x10 with? do you want to use the same amp with this smaller cab?

6. May I add, in addition to the cabs tuning, the particular speaker used makes a big difference. Some exibit low end but not as tight as others. Still others have good lowend and punch to boot.
  7. If you are happy with your 810, stick with 10's.
  8. punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    Ok, I have two hartke XL 4x10's and a hartke 1x15... The 4x10s stay at the practice space while the 15 stays at home for writing..... Anyway, Its often frustrating because of the lack of highs that you get out of a 15... This might be because its a hartke (poop) :rollno: but thats just what ive expirienced with the 15.... I think you need to get a half way decent 1x15 cab and a 2x10 cab... Those would cover you for what you want to use it for...
  9. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    A good friend of mine who is an avid 5 string player has an SWR big ben, which is an 18 incher, and I couldn't believe how quick, responsive and deep this cab got. I only use a four string so 12 inchers are fine for what I want. But if I went to a 5 string I would certainly consider a big ben over most of the 15 inch offerings out there.
  10. Not True... that may have been sorta true a decade or so ago, but nowadays you can easily get 210 cabs, like the eden xst for example, that will get you even deeper lows than some 15" cabs.

it has way more to to it than simply the size of your drivers.
  11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Which specific 15s and 10s are we talking about here? Many 210s get low enough for a 5er, and most 410s these days built by good companies handle the low B just fine.
  12. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I think that 2-10's and a 15 would be your best bet. Keep the 8-10 for the bigger jobs. That is extactly what I have done, and I'm happy with the highs and the lows of the combibation, but you just cant beat an 8-10 for big lows and highs and sheer volume, in my opinion. And I use the 15 alone on small jobs. It gets you very versatile with this combination.
  13. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I had a Hartke 1x15-4x10 stack, and my SWR Super Redhead 2x10 combo amp blew it out of the water. I then added the SWR 18 to it. I would agree, a 1x15-2x10 stack is the way to go.....of good quality mind you!
  14. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    EXACTLY. I was a die hard 15" speaker user for year. Just recently dumped my peavey 2X15 (my guitarist uses it and it sounds GREAT with a Les Paul Jr) for a Peavey Pro 410. PLENTY of lows...playing an MIA Jazz Bass Deluxe V. I added a SteelSound 2X10" to pull the full wattage from my head. My new 6X10 set up puts out a ton of more bass than the old Peavey 2X15". 10" speaker manufacturing has changed in the past 10-15 years. 10"s are definitely capable of going low enough for a 5 string...just depends on the make of speaker and tuning/make of cab.
  15. I'm playing an SVP-BSP pre with a QSC RMX 1450 bridged.

I like the 2x10+1x15 idea. Can anyone recommend one that has all the speakers in one box? I know I've seen them before. Can you tell me who has made them in the past? Even lousy ones that I could get used and switch the speakers out.
  16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    "You could join the 4x10 + 1x15 crowd and have a 4x10 for small shows and bring both for bigger shows."

That's the approach I'm currently using, and it's working out fine - although I have to admit that I like the sound of both together that I mostly end up just using both...

- georgestrings
  17. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I recently bought an Avatar Delta 2X10 plus an Avatar 1X15 Neo. Although I love this combination, Avatar first accidentally sent me a 1X12 cab instead of the 2X10. I started to fall in love with this cab, and I'm seriously thinking about returning my set up for a single 2X12 neo cab. The 12's are just what somebody earlier said - right between a 15 and a 10. And with the porting, these get great low end, but the tone is tighter and more focused, IMHO. Very warm sounding.

18. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I think if I werein that situation at look at a Schroeder or Berg cab