1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4x10? or 2x10 with better speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by opivy3056, Oct 5, 2006.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    heyyy.

I have an avatar 4x10 delta. I was thinking about downsizing to the 2x10 neo. I play some pretty large venues but im always go direct to the board or mic my cabinet. A 2x10 might save me some space and manual labor. (and i hear that neo's have more bass response)

Would there be a noticable different in sound quality? My GK has tons of headroom with the 4x10 (i barely ever turn the volume past 9 o'clock). I realize that it will push less air, and therefore seem more quiet but i feel i could compensate with available headroom.

Is this switch rational?

-ivy

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    If your band is on the louder side, I'd stick with the 4x10 as a stage monitor.

There will be a big difference in sound. You loose a bit of the thickness/mini wall effect. The cab will probably be voiced with a lot more midrange. I dont think they will be in the same category of volume.

Shoot, I'd stack the 2x10 on the 4x10... :D

3. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    :meh: the 4x10 is rated at 4ohms

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Which GK head do you have? Some are designed to be used with a 4 ohm & an 8 ohm cab.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    sounds just like you want something lighter, and who doesnt want that? ;)

[mr. has-seen-it-all on]

but i'm afraid you're gonna be in for a let down. truth be told, no 2x10 has ever sounded full or "present" enough on stage for me. also, most neo loaded cabs have been more midrangey than bass heavy.

thus, even with all the EQ'ing in the world, all the 2x10's i've owned just dont have that thick present sound on the bandstand. the only cab that's done this for me so far has been the acme b2. again, this is just IME.

IMHO, a reputable pair of 1x12's sound about as loud as a single 4x10, and have that thick onstage presence. and they're much easier to move around. they wont be quite as punchy as the 10" loaded cab, but again, the push of air will be about as satisfying and the fullness will be there onstage.

[mr. has-seen-it-all off]

but if you just wanna down size, dont play nearly that loud to really justify the 4x10, i think the 2x10 idea would be fine. i do think tho that a pair of the avatar neo 12's would be more flexible. use a single one for the smaller gigs, and when you need to step it up, BAM, you've got another 12" cab for a more massive sonic assault.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I agree completely with Jokerjkny.....

7. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    i have the 700RB-II head.

Does avatar make a 1x12??

Ill have to find some more info.

8. thedarksin

thedarksin

Feb 17, 2006
    I curently own a fender 2x10 cab and i wouldnt recomend it unless youd plan on adding some bigger speaker to it like i have. I have an ampeg 18" to compensate for low ends and "boom" sounds. 2x10 just doesnt seem to handle low ends that well.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021