Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x10 or 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by handlax14, Sep 7, 2002.

1. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    what are the big differences between the two besides the obviouse absence of two speakers as far as tonal quality adn low frequency responce. thanx.

2. I would say Yes. 4x10 feel more alive and in some cases handle lows alot better, The feel of all of that speaker surface moving makes most 2x10's feel just ok

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Then again (as I learned from Gard and Eden lady the other day) the Eden 210XST has freq. response that would make any 410 that I'm familiar with blush. 30hz-18mhz. That's just disgusting! Even more disgusting is the fact that I don't have one. :)

brad cook

4. Agreed but I haven't tried that one yet

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

I didn't know they could double as a police scanner.

( kidding! :) )

6. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    doesn't the ampeg SVT-410hlf go down to 28hz?

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Doh!! er...18khz...*blush*

brad cook

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I'm afraid I have to disagree (respectfully of course). I recently A/B'd a SWR Goliath Jr. II next to my Ampeg SVT-410HEN, with my amp and cables and bass. The 2x10 pushed more lows, and had a better overall sound. Now I know, the SWR is their profesional line, etc. But the 2x10 in THIS case blew away the 4x10.

But the 4x does dandle alot more power, so maybe with a bigger amp.....

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Apples and oranges.

For a fair comparison, you have to compare 2 of the same series/make. Say a Goliath Jr. II vs. a Goliath II. Or an Ampeg SVT-410HEN vs. an SVT-210HEN.

10. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    All things equal, the 410 is 3dB louder, can handle twice the power, and weighs nearly twice as much. An alternative that a lot of people in this forum seem to like is a 212. That’s what I’m playing now (Aguilar GS212). It’s almost as big as a 410, but weighs only a little more than a 210 (about 70Lbs). It’s not as loud as a 410, but it’s got great low end.

11. How much do those Aguilar 212's run? I was thinking of getting one of those...and where could I find one? How well would they work for like Rock? do they cut through?

12. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I bought my GS212 from Bass Palace. None of the shops in my area had them in stock. I don’t recall exactly what I paid, but I’m pretty sure it was a little over $600. I think it has great tone for rock. It will definitely cut through the mix. It has nearly as much punch as a lot of 10’s, while having a more authoritative low-end.