1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4x10 or 2x12--searching for cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crikker, Mar 14, 2008.

1. crikker

crikker Yooper From Way Back Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    Help! I play in the basement and jam a little with my drummer buddy. I'd like something that would sound ok in clubs if we decided to expand some. I've been recommended an Avatar 212 and a Peavey 4x10 TVX. I'd couple it to an Ashdown MAG 300 amp. What's the difference between the 4x10 and the 2x12 as far as sound? I guess I'm looking for an upgrade from my Peavey 110 and I'd like something that would fit into small venues and also playing in the basement. :confused:

2. After 39 years of bass playing, my two favorite cabs have been a 4x10 and a 2x12, but not the particular models you mentioned. I have a couple of SWR Goliath IIIs, and just sold (wish I didn't) an SWR 12 Pack. Both of these cabs are well designed and feature excellent drivers (made by PAS). That combination is the key to any speaker cabinet's appeal.

I would say that either will be an improvement from a single 10". Many cab makers these days are building their designs around Eminence drivers, whether off the shelf or with some minor modifications. Eminence seems to be the major supplier of drivers for many manufacturers these days, so the final tonality depends on the cab designer's abilities.

The Peavey cab is what got me intersted in tens again. (I played 15" combinations for many years) After using one in a rehearsal, I was impressed, and started auditioning 4x10 cabs available in my area. There wasn't much to choose from other than Peavey, Ampeg and SWR. I chose the SWR for it's power handling and clean tone.

I've never played an Avatar but many bassists like them. Audition whatever you buy, if you can, as there are 1000 opinions to every 1 cab!!