4x10 or 2x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by klejst, Aug 14, 2013.

1. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    As the title says when it comes to bass cabs would you prefer a 4x10 or 2x15? I myself have been throwing around the idea of getting one or the other type of speaker config. No I cannot get both and yes I know each cab is different in the ways of manufacturer and the extract model and type of speaker. I am looking for an general opinion. But of course I am open to other suggestions.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    A 215, or any "one speaker on top the other" sort of configuration would be my choice, but of course so much of this comes down to the tone/sound of the actual speakers used.

3. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    Entirely personal preference for your own ear and what you play. Don't forget to try 4x12, or have best of both: stack a 2x10 on top of a 1x15.

4. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I sometimes use two Bag End S15D cabs or an SWR 4 ohm 4 x 10 Cab..... I really like the both set ups. They both give me the bottom end I need. The SWR is 75 lbs on casters..the bag End cabs are approx 40 lbs each and easy to move.... IMHO I think the Bag Ends project to the back of the room better than the SWR...

5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I have both. The 215 (peavey black widow 215d) works better with my tube head. My 410s (GK NEO) work better with my 700rbII. I like them both, but I like the sound of my GK rig more.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    2-15 any day over a 4-10. :cool:

7. depends on a lot of factors, but mostly whose responsible for moving the thing around :p

8. 2 2x10 unless you prefer 2x15 or 4x10.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  9. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    If you hate your knuckles and back, get a 410 :p

If they somehow magically sounded and performed EXACTLY the same, I'd go for the tall and skinny form factor of a 215 for moving and hearing myself on stage. Then others will say things like the 215 has better dispersion and 15's can be made much more efficient than 10's (i.e. cost and weigh less per SPL). Those are nice bonuses.

Personally, I like the vertical 212 w/ extension handle form factor the most. Similar benefits to the 215 I gave and -- unless you're on giant festival stage or playing in a pretty brutal band -- can be plenty of horse power to cover a small place sans FOH or as a good stage monitor when there is FOH, IME. And then add a second 212 for the exceptions above. :bassist::bassist:

Mystic Michael likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I prefer good cabs and I don't prefer crappy cabs.

11. I love my Markbass Jeff Berlin combo with 1 15 and no tweeter on top of my NY151 extension cab with 1 15 and tweeter dialed off. Total weight around 70 lbs. in 2 pieces and 500 watts.

12. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    The best place to start.
    I've used 215s, two 115s, a 410 and a 115 and a 212 and a 115. My taste runs to the 212 and 115 for a stage rig. It gives you the best punch of the lot and the 212 is a damn sight easier to carry than the 410.

13. Correction -84 lbs. total weight but still very manageable.

14. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    210/115

15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i use two orange 115s with a mesa d180, i'm completely happy, however when at the practice space, the 410 solid state amps do sound sweet with the wooly mammoth

16. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    none of the above. get an 8x10. it has wheels on it so you don't have to carry it anywhere. lol

it gives you that "wall of sound" you are looking for. i played the ampeg 2x15 side by side with the 8x10 before i bought it. the 8x10 blew it away. it actually had more low end than the 15's did. 15's give you more of a rumbly low end where as the 10's are a tight low end sound to them. 15's have a more midrange sound to them than 10's. i guess it can vary depending on what brand and what speakers are used.

17. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Really? Ampeg 810s are the most mid rangy cabs I have ever heard.

18. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    My Peavey 215d isn't nearly as easy to move around as my two GK 410 NEOs. I'm gonna put some flush mount corner casters and corner handles on it so it will tilt back and roll, because as it stands now it is almost impossible to move around.

19. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    I see the point you're making. There are exceptions. But I'd be willing to bet that's more a function of how those companies build cabs (weight, handle distribution, etc). I was assuming a 215 would have the casters and tilt back handle already.

How would two Peavy 410's compare to your GKs? ;)

20. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago"

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Its been a log time since ive played a 2x15. Its always been 10s. Problem is most 215s are 4ohm. Id like 2 8 ohmers

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021