4X10 or 4X12 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by redhawk, Oct 8, 2005.

1. redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    Hey, I'm new here so sorry if this has been posted already or somethng. Anyway, I need to get a cabinet for my head (here is a link if it helps answer my question:

I was wondering for metal and rock (Metallica, Pantera, Ac/Dc, Megadeth etc.) would I be better off getting a cabinet with 4 10 or 12 inch speakers?
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well I know Rex Brown used to use ampeg 10's.

I say go and try out everything you can. Another thing, if you are playing in a loud metal rock band, I don't think that mag300 will give you enough volume.

Try looking into a used peavey max 700 or peavey firebass head on ebay. About the same used price but 700 watts as aposed to 300.
  3. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Get an Aguilar gS412 and your search will be over ;)
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Well, it depends on more things than speaker diameter. Give us brands you were considering and it would be a lot easier to give you a good comparison. +1 on the Aggie 412.
  5. 700 watts at 2 ohms tho, hell of a good amp tho ;)
  6. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Do they sell this man to lift a 4x12? :p :p :p
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

:p :meh: ;)
  8. go with the 412, I run 350 watts into my 412 and with my compressor on I can get some insain volumes, and it cuts trough very well. but more wattage would be nice.
  9. IMO, 15's are the go :D 2 seperate 115's :D at least thats what i will be using for playing Metallica, Pantera, Anthrax and the like. Acutally I am thinking of using a behringer alu cone 210 for the top of my TE 1518T, I really like the 'crappy' tone it gives, harsh'ish mids to go with my smooth bottom end, or maybe I am just crazy ;) 'maybe'
  10. redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    Ok sorry for the dumb question (I'm not very knowledgeable about equipment) but what is a compressor and should I get one since my amp is underpowered?
  11. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    :D ;) PM sent ;)
  12. shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    sorry to hijack, but just a quick question.

i play the same kinda music and just wondering if the schroeder cabs would be good for this, particually the 410 or 21012?

i dont have a head yet to match it with so that doesnt matter
  13. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    two Dr. Bass 2x12's would be lovely too (8 ohm, just over 50lb each)...
    my single Dr Bass Rx212 is plenty for everything I've done, it just won't give up.... YMMV though.