4x10 vs. 1 or 2x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peterthom, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Peterthom

Nov 23, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Hi Gang, Newbie here.
    My neighbor is ready to upgrade his bass rig. He has a 200w newer model Fender Bassman combo with 1x15 that is about dead. He is looking at a GK 4x10 cab, but is afraid that 10" speakers won't give him the bottom end he wants.
    What is the general opinion on 15" speakers vs a 4x10's?
    Will he get the Boom Boom that he wants for playing STP and Ozzy?
  2. softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    well im a bit of a newbie too but ive got a an ampeg SVT 410HLF cab. its 4x10 with a porting at the bottom which gets HUGE bottom end. it makes a huge difference than playing with a normal 4x10. im not saying you have to go ampeg just if you like 4x10 but want low end then find a 4x10 with porting.
  3. I own a Gallien-Krueger 4x10 and a Galien-Krueger Neo212. If he wants low end tell him to check out the GK Neo2x12. AMAZING cab. It handles my 5 with ease.
  4. Peterthom

Nov 23, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the fast advice gang. I like the idea of the ported cab.
  5. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    If you like the sound of GK's then I would highly recommend their Neo212 or Neo412 (if you have spare $$$)
    Some 15" have great punchiness but in my experience most 15"s alone won't cut through well enough in a rock band situation with heavy guitars.
    If you guitarists play with alot of mids then get a boomier cab like a 15" but 12" speakers are a great compromise, IMHO.
  6. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    also, search, there are pages upon pages on this subject here in talkbass

7. Also, check out the Avatar vented cabs. These are in order of most low end first:
    4 x 10 Pro
    4 x 10 Neo
    4 x 10 Delta
    Very good reviews on Harmony Central.
    I have a 1 x 15 Avatar with a horn and really like it.

8. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    My personal opinion is that I dislike almost every 4x10 I've ever played through. The few exceptions are the Eden XLT and the old E-V B410 (no longer made). Most 4x10's, I think are:

1. Way too large.
    2. Way too heavy.
    3. Need way too much EQ to bring out the bottom end.

My personal preference is 2 full size 1x15's (not a 2x15). Think Trace Elliot 1518 rather than 1153, or Avatar B115 rather than CB115 (no longer made ?). I also had good success with the Fender Bassman 115 (though it doesn't handle much power. The EV B115 (the mid-90's one, like the B410 I mentioned above) was also very nice. There's one near me that I may buy.

Unfortunately, full-size 1x15's suffer from the same size problems as most 4x10's (thankfully not the weight, although the TE cabs are MDF, so they *do* weigh a ton, even the smaller ones). The Fender was very difficult to fit in the back seat of my car (but it *did* make it), but at least it was cheap, light, and sounded good. I regret selling it.

My compromise is to use two compact 1x15's. I'd like to switch to two SWR Son Of Bertha's to complement my new SWR rig, but at $600 ea retail, that's not going to happen anytime soon. I'm thinking of calling Avatar and trying to get a couple of CB115's, or maybe just building the things myself.

Also, 4x10's suffer from dispersion issues because of the phase cancellations. The best compromise, I think, is a pseudo D'Appolito config-a 1x15 stacked on top of a 1x15.

Now if I could just get rid of my TE 1153 and 2102 easily, I'd have an easier time justifying two new cabs...
  9. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Actually a 4x10 will give you more bottom than a single 15 will.The array type configuration will give you a bigger more thumpy sound.A single 15 will actually be more midrangy in sound.Now 2x15 and we're getting on the same playing field.I actually have an Ampeg 4x8 cabinet (I don't think they still make them) that is more thumpy than my 15(Dr. Basscab).and it actually does away with some of the weight and bulk of a 4x10 cabinet.I actually have two of the 4x8 cabs that make a hell of an array when needed.I find that mixing speaker types (8's, 10's, 12's 15's, 18's) can give you the best of both worlds,each cabinet has a different sound character.Go to a music store and play around until you find a combnation you like.Mixing and matching can be fun, and you use what you need for the job requirements.