4x10 vs 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JBROWN, Oct 4, 2005.

Oct 4, 2005
    I'm playing a G&L bass through a GK 1001RB hooked to an ampeg 410hlf. Would I get a better sound by adding another 4x10 or by adding a 15? Or should I scrap both and get an 8x10? I am looking for a thick low end sound but want the highs to come through as well.

2. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    First of alll, the best thing would be for you to try out the various choices and pick the one that sounds best to you.
    Aside from that, I'd vote for adding the 1x15. Adding it to the 4x10 would seem to meet the "low end plus definition" sound you're looking for, plus it would give you the most flexibility should you only need one cabinet for a gig.
  3. +1

I run 410 and 215 biamped, so I get the deep lows to the 215 and the rest to the 410 and it can both rumble and sting.

4. I got a 2x10 cab that puts out more low end than my old 1x18" cab.

The size of the speakers doesn't matter as much as the design of the cab. Listen to all potential combinations and go with what sounds best. Size really doesn't matter. Some 4x10's will get more bottom than some 1x15's, and some 1x15's will get a nicer high end than some 4x10s. And vice versa.

5. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    a 4 x 10 moves almost twice as much air as a single 15.
  6. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    I use two trace 4x10s together and that sounds fine to me. I once played with a 4x10 and trace commando 15 on top and that sounded muddy. So in my case the two 4x10s are 100% better
  7. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Those hlf's put out heaps of bottom imo. I'd put an svt410he with it. Nice barky mids to go with the hlf lows.
    edit: ooer, you might have to watch the ohmage with those, I think one is 4ohms, the other 8??
  8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Right on. The 15 cab as the mid driver...

Not when your 1st octave is entirely below the f3 of the cab it don't.

You may be right... the 410hlf I played through had a really dark tone but I wouldn't call it deep bottom. And it broke.
  9. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Not that it tells you how it sounds but the hlf has the same -10db point as the svt18 and 215 ampegs at 28hz. It goes low to my ear.
  10. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    It sounded pretty good. But with 600 watts it wasn't loud enough for me at the practice hall. I needed a 2nd cab. And I was glad I had one when the Ampig died. sorry :p

P.S. re Eden: the D410T at the same studio rocked as long as I stacked a minimum of 2 more 10s on top of it.

11. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    A 4x10 has about 1.6x the cone area of a 1x15, but the actual volume of air displaced at a given frequency depends upon the parameters of the drivers and the box design and implementation.
  12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You have to be careful mixing different cab's. Often they argue and what you end up with is less than the sum of it's parts. Even worse, this also changes from room to room. Some nights it's great, some nights, not nearly, some nights, it sounds like crap.

With two matched cabinets, your EQ has at least a fighting chance... not being a fan of Ampeg cab's the sound you are describing sounds more like the NV610 to me... If you can find one in stock nearby, it would be a good listen with your GK.