4x10 Vs 1x15+2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SixString, Jul 20, 2002.

1. SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm about to buy the SWR workingmans 4004 head would it be better to buy the full stack that coems iwth 2x10 and 1x15cabs or the head and then get a 4x10 cab?
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´ve often wondered about the pros&cons if these setups...

I hope someone with first hand experience can comment on this.
  3. ...but a 4x10 just a) is SO bloody heavy to load in and out, and b) doesn't seem to get the low end push I desire.

Ah, I'm just old, I guess. I'm used to hearing bass through 15's and 18's, but I like the clarity and punch that 10's provide. I feel my 2x10 and 1x15 Avatar setup gives me the best of both worlds. If I had bought a 4x10 first, I would be looking for a 15 or two to put under it.

JMO, as always.
  4. I have a 4x10 and a 1x15 both avatars in my rig. The 4x10 has a nice punch and the 1x15 gives it the growling low end that was missing. I think it is perfect. Gives great tone, IMO. I never owned, played a 2x10 so can't comment on that. But as Ronzo said, the only bad part about the 4x10 is the weight.
  5. Hey, Rage! Still liking the Hartke 3500?

I'm glad you found the sound that was right for you. Have you played it out yet?

All the best,
  6. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002

just make sure you get one with a big enough box... afterall... any speaker can cycle at 30 hz. For instance, imo, a aguilar gs410 and hit just as low as any 15,18 etc. But a goliath 3, small and portable for a 4x10... will lose some frequency response.

Its been my observation that people mostly associate better frequency response with larger speakers simply because they are generally in more spacious boxes. (i know the actual diameter of the speaker has something to do with the sound, but this is just what i think, lemme know if/or how wrong i am!)

7. I have played in the basement with the band and i love it. Gives excellent tone. It really compliments the cabs.

Anyway Sunday the 21st (July) my band is playing a gig in a bar in Point Pleasant, NJ so we'll see how it handles it. I don't expect it should have any problem. It is defiantly a sweet setup. Couldn't do better for less then $1000.
  8. Good luck on the gig. I wish I could get up to NJ to hear you guys; I have relatives in Denville and Mountain Lakes. Maybe next time. Let us know how it went, OK?
  9. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    I have an Eden 210XLT and 115XL. My original reason for this setup was for "flexability." If I need a small setup I can use just the 2x10, if I need more "umpf" I can add the 1x15.

When I use the two together I run them through a crossover (biamped) and send anything below 125Hz to the 1x15 and anything above 125Hz to the 2x10. This gives me a clear, focused tone by maximizing the effeciency of the speaker cabs. Plus, I can control the amount (level) of low freq's and mid/upper freq's separately. Some people don't like the sound of a biamped system, so YMMV.

I've played through the Eden 410XLT as well and find it to give a clear punchy tone. I was happy with it. It handled the B string just fine and had plenty of thump to it, although not as deep as I get with the 2x10 + 1x15 setup.

As for weight... if you get a 410, get one with wheels or add them yourself. My two cabs together are bigger and heavier (combined weight) then one 410, but of course lighter individually.

Pros and cons on both sides. Choose your poison. ;)