1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4x10 vs 1x15 and 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhilStache, Sep 23, 2015.

1. PhilStache

PhilStache

Jan 7, 2014
    Im thinking of replacing my current set up of a mark bass 2x10 and orange 1x15 cab(both are ported) and just going with 4x10 cab. Im using an orange Terror Bass 500. My current rig sounds really good but Im looking for more punch I think. I play in punk band and as hard as I try I can't quite get that sound that I love on all those NoFx, Vandals, and Rancid records. Plus having 1 cab vs 2 would be somewhat space saving as we do travel frequently. Am I making to big a deal of this? Should I stick with what I have or am I crawling up the correct tree thinking I'll get more of the classic punk sound from a 4x10? Current 4x10 cabs I'm considering are Ampeg and Orange I know most of the bands I listed above use ampeg gear but I'm not sure how they would pair with the Orange Amp.

2. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Get a second 210. Modular rig, easier to pack away and even more punch.

The Standard 210HF cabs by Markbass sound great as a pair.

Helix, yakmastermax, dheafey and 4 others like this.
  3. PhilStache

PhilStache

Jan 7, 2014
    Thats a thought just ditch the 15 and get a second Mark bass 2x10 cab those things are light and sound great.

yakmastermax and bass.slinger like this.
  4. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    Have you thought about 12s? I was never totally happy with my tone until I started running 12's. Real nice mids with a crisp thump sort of like Freeman's "Maxwell Murder" tone

* P bass with 1/4 pounders through a GK head.

SirMjac28 and PhilStache like this.
  5. PhilStache

PhilStache

Jan 7, 2014
    Jason are you thinking like a 2x10 and a 2x12 or 2x12 and the 1x15 or just a 2 or 4x12?

6. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Or get a second Orange 15. Two sound very good together.

If I am not mistaken the sound you are going for is the Ampeg sound. May want to consider an Ampeg head. I have an Orange AD200 and couldn't get that Ampeg sound, so ended up buying an Ampeg head, which sounds like an Ampeg no matter which cabs I pair it with.

rodl2005 likes this.
  7. I'd either go with 2 ORANGE 115 cabs, or two matching Mark Bass 8 ohm 410 cabs, either way it'll give you heaps of volume, and plenty of punch with the powerful TB500 amp. The Orange 115s would match up well with the amp, I'd reckon.
    I can't imagine a Mark Bass 210 matching up well with an Orange 115 (I could be wrong, but they're VERY different cabs -read up on matching speaker cabs in the Amps forum stickies at the top of the amps forum page).
    The Orange 115s are basically the old EV TL606 cabs - great punchy & versatile cabs that stack well, punch hard and give plenty of volume.

8. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    2 112's are what I used so I could break it up if I needed

SirMjac28 likes this.
  9. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Two of the Orange 15s is super nice. I really dig the 15s at volume.

Pyrat likes this.
  10. I believe Chris_b for the win. 2x210 stacked vertically will likely make you hear yourself better. The 4x10 design is nasty - squat and heavy makes for an awkward move and you'd likely need to lift it off the floor or angle it upwards to hear yourself better.

Helix and Gaolee like this.
  11. PhilStache

PhilStache

Jan 7, 2014
    Thanks Guys!!

12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Feh - I have two excellent epifani 8 ohm 2x10s that I'm too old to lift so I want to sell!

13. Geez Harry! They can't be that heavy. Once you stop lifting them you will soon be unable to lift them... or anything like them.
    Older people become frail when the start the downward trend of doing less and less.
    Unless your icon photo was taken in 1982 you look like you are a pretty capable sort of chap.

But never mind... how much you want for them?
    Err, um, what do they weigh? They might be a bit on the heavy side for me.

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    lol

They are just light enough to carry with one hand if you are A) strong B) don't have a bad back/hands C) don't live in an upstairs unit

What part of the country do you live in? Anywhere near SD? Shipping these things would be painfully spendy

15. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Perhaps mismatching cabinet manufacturers is the bigger problem here. I roll with an Aguilar DB 210 and a DB 115 and have no discernible problem with phase effects or deconstructive interference. I also own an "extra" DB 210 that I keep at home for practice and I prefer the tone and texture of the 115/210 mix. In short- try the 410 out first but simply matching cabs for the sake of it is more of an academic point and something that a lot of players quote on talk bass for some unknown reason. It doesn't always make sense-

16. physics

physics

Aug 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    If you're playing a 4-string with standard tuning, low E = 41Hz, and are looking for more punch or a more accurate response in your output, I would suggest considering a sealed vs the ported cab that you have. If you had a 5-string with a low B and needed the extended frequency response down low you might want to go with ported speaker cabs. I have a sealed 210 cab that surprised me in how well it handles my low E, I didn't need to EQ the bottom end to get an even response and my speaker cones are well-controlled with whatever I dish out. If my power needs ever increase in the future I'm going to go with a stacked vertical array with an identical 210 cab, as others have mentioned.

17. I am up state close to San Francisco.

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I love 12 inch speakers

MatronMother likes this.
  19. MatronMother

MatronMother

Jun 22, 2009
    Yeah...12's, love them.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  20. SirMjac28