Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4X10 vs. 1x15 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Dec 15, 2003.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

2. I prefer 4x10 over 1x15 cabs..
    10" speakers tend to sound punchier than 15" speakers.. which sound boomier.. ALso 4x10 cabs regularily are more powerful than 1x15's..

but this info is very general..

3. I have one of each and I use them to biamp, 410's for the highs and 115 for the lows.

I can also use them by themselves, such as for smaller venues, I use the 115 for blues and music that needs more bottom, where as the 410's I use for slap and funkier type music.

YMMV.

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    What is biamp? Can I assume you run one guitar through 2 amps somehow? How do you do that?

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Biamping is the use of two power amps and a crossover. The fullrange signal goes into the crossover. Frequencies above a specified point go to one amp then one cab. Those below go to the other.

There are tons of threads on the subject here at TB if you search.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    4x10s can be very heavy for their size since they have four speakers in them.

7. What does this have to do wih tone???!!!

Sure they are heavy. But it is the sound that's worth the back ache. Go 4-10. I use it for Blues as it gives the punch needed to groove under a screaming guitar. Better yet, go with another 2-10, or another 4-10. I run with the 4-10 and 2-10 Eden boxes. Also, I find the 4-10 is much more responsive than a 1-15.

8. maybe nothing, but coffe sipper asked for advantages and disadvantages...

9. Tone is only one aspect. We get many threads regarding the portability of an amp.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've posted in other threads my "A/B" observation at gigs of using two Aguilar 4x10's as opposed to one Aguilar 4x10 and one Aguilar 1x15. The second 4x10 yielded much more low end than the 15 did, BY FAR, as well as more volume and punch.

It all depends on the characteristics of each brand and model of driver and cabinet though, but its important to note that a 15 will not necessarily get you more low end booty than a 4x10 will . . .

11. you never get that fat and deep bass from 10´s as you get from 15`s, and why does all 4x10´s have these anoying tweeters?
    yes you can turn them off, but some speakers sounds too dull then(ampeg classic).

12. Ok i agree. two 4x10´s is a whole nother thing

13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    A 410 has more punch and will cut through a live setting better. 115s are not as defined and can add a muddy quality to the sound. This can be good or bad depending on your intended sound/tone.

If you are plannning on using only one of the two, I'd use the 410.

14. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    4x10. if it's good enough for Nathan East, it's good enough for me.

15. les claypool used to have 2x15 and his tone was pretty clear. ;)

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    When I saw Claypool three months ago, he was using two Ampeg 4x10 cabs . . . FWIW . . . ;)

17. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Just going to add that those ampeg 4x10's that Claypool uses are the BXT's I believe (same ones Wooten uses/designed)

18. This is the same as what I have experienced. I play in a guitar driven blues band. It is just me and the drummer trying to keep a burning guitar player under control. I used to use a single 15, but the punch and quickness was missing. It was hard to get a clear defined bass line when the room was packed with people. Our Drummer runs a 20" kick wich is also very punchy. With the 4-10, I make a better blended contribution to the overall sound. The 1-15 was muddy and slow to respond. The attack was late.

And oh...

About the crack about weight and tone. IMO, tone rules the day, and forces a choice. Besides, my 4-10 is on wheels. WE ARE BASS PLAYERS!!! If you want a weeny little cab, play guitar!

19. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Great info. Sorry to ask such basic questions. I don't get out very often - I just like to play bass. Thanks.

For what I play and my price range I am really interested in the

SWR Workingman's 15 Bass Combo
    with the
    SWR Workingman’s 2x10T Speaker Cabinet
    as an extension.

Would this even work?

I play blues and reggae.

20. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    If I had to choose one cab of the two, I'd choose the 410. The sound, to me, is just more "happening" in a rock band context. I had two 410s and two 115s. Originally, I used the (2) 115s for practice/studio work. I used the (2) 410s on stage. I had the urge to experiment...and found that, for me (and every single other band member), the best sound that I got was a combination of the 410 and 115. So that's what I used for ten years.

kim