4x10 vs. 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i'm sure this has been asked 100 times..but i searched and couldn't find anything.

i'm defenitly buying a GK amp and cab soon. probably a 700 head.

what are the diffs in the 4x10 and a 1x15?????????? why would you want one and not the other.

I'm a low end player. i play a lot of boomy, bassy funky low groovy type stuff. i don't spend too much time in the high range. would a 15 be better for this??????
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    IMHO a 4x10 is punchy with better definition and ability to cut through a live band mix better. I strongly recommend a 4x10 above all other bass speaker combinations.

IMHO a 1x15 is muddy with little definition in comparison. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your sound/style. It's a bad thing for me.

Try them both. The difference will be immediately apparent.
  3. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    is muddy a bad thing?

i'm the kinda player that has the treble or tone knob turned all the way down on all my basses.

can a 4x10 do all a 15 can but a 15 can't do what 4 10s can do?
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Whether muddy is a bad thing is subjective. To me it's a bad thing. I like a more defined sound...one with punch....one that allows my lines to jump out of the music more as opposed to a low background drone within the music.

As far as your dislike of the treble end of things, even if you cut your high frequencies, the 10s will bark very nicely in the mid range frequencies. I like a lower mid range boost to help bark through the mix. I think the 10s help with this.

As far as the last question, I wouldn't say either can do all of what the other can do. However, the 10s do everything I need.

Edit: Oh yeah, you are right. This has been done to death. Do a search and you'll find plenty of opinions.
  5. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    The good old 10's over 15's debate. It's all subjective, and what I suggest you do it go try out as many 4x10 cabs as you can as well as 15 cabs, and make the decision your self, because you are the only one who can really make it, use your ears. As for my opinion in that, it all depends on the make of the cab, I have an Eden D215XLT and I find it no way muddy, and it has tons of punch and bite all the way down. The problem is a cab with a single 15" speaker in it has just over half the cone area of a cab with 4 10" speakers in it, depending upon how dense and loud the mix of your band is you may need more then a single 15, where a 410 would come in more handy, but also you could look into a nice 215 cab as well that will get you seriouse low end. Once again I will state that you have to make the decision with your own ears, go out and try as many cab makers as you can in 410, 115, and 215, heck try out some cabs with 12's in them I have a MM HD-212 cab that has great low end responce as well as great punch and a 6" mid range tweeter that is way less harsh then most horns. Anyway my long post basically says try them out for yourself, you can never go wrong with your own ears! :bassist: ;)
    Hope I helped.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have never heard a muddy GK cab! maybe the 50hz rolloff has something to do with that. My first GK combo was a 400RBIII 1x15 and it was clear and articulate with a nice bottom. No I use a 1001RB 2x10 combo with a 1x15RBH cab. Gk amp and cabs are fast cabs
    meaning they have a very quick response to what ever you put into them, no mud there!
  7. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    This is the best of both worlds: the booty of the 15, the punch of the 10's. Plus, it is modular. Take either or both to the gig.
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    1-15: smaller, cheaper, lighter, darker tone

4-10: want a brighter, tighter sound and willing to pay for it and carry it
  9. Deepkick

Feb 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I plan on running this same config. soon.
    Mesa/Boogie buster 200 2x10 combo on top of a RR 1x15BT.

My gut tells me this would sound sonically sweet! :bassist:

10. The sound is dispersed over 4 speakers instead of one, which will generally make it a cleaner and I think fuller sound, With E.Q., frequencies can be adjusted so that a bit more sub can be added if you are into that. When onstage, I want cut so I can hear what I am doing and not clogg up the onstage volume with any muddy sub frequencies, especially if the guitar is targeting simular frequencies as the bass player is.