1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4x10 vs. 2x12 vs. 2x10+12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmahn, Apr 9, 2010.

1. 4x10

64 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. 2x12

64 vote(s)
    44.8%
  3. 2x10+12

15 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. bassmahn

bassmahn

Mar 14, 2007
    Minneapolis MN
    Just curious to see what people think about the different cab configurations... What do you use and why?

I currently have a 4x10, I recently played through a Bergie HT322 and a Schroeder 21012 and was really impressed with the tone...

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I don't know if it's the particular cabinets I've owned btu I keep coming back to 12s.

My current 2x12 is the best cab I've ever played through. I can't see myself getting rid of it any time soon but I could see myself getting a second one.

OTOH, I have not been terribly impressed by the 10" loaded cabs I've owned.

3. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Ampeg 410 HLF seem to put me in the best position for running my heads from. I have (2) of them and they are 500watts @4 OHMS. They are big heavy and $$$$ but for me worth it. I am looking at the Genz-Benz 212 cabs for the future.

4. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Surely it's quite hard to generalise based on speaker configuration alone?

GregC likes this.
  5. bassmahn

bassmahn

Mar 14, 2007
    Minneapolis MN
    Yea it's difficult to generalize, I'm just looking for opinions without getting too deep on the technical side...

I'm scheming on a different 1 cab solution that I have now...

6. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Allow me to generalize...

a 4x10" cab is always your safest bet. (or two 4x10 cabs if you need more volume.)

;)

It depends off course about what cab we are talking about.

I was always a 4x10 guy (and I know not much about cabs) and in the near future I'm going to switch to a 2x12 cab. Because on paper the 2x12 I'm getting is much better. (And I'm hoping it is.)

7. bassmahn

bassmahn

Mar 14, 2007
    Minneapolis MN
    I have a Carvin Neo 10.4 right now... I liked the thicker lows that I got from the Berg HT322... So that got me thinking about different speaker configurations..

I know... apples to oranges... Different cab tunings, Neo vs. Ferrite etc...
    It seems like there are a lot of players out there that are turning to non traditional configurations... I'm curious about the differences... What to you like tone wise with the 12 that you dont get with the 10? Is it mainly the additional surface area of the cone?

8. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I like 2x12 cabs. One is almost always enough, and when I use two, it doesn't look like I'm trying to compensate for something.
    Easier to schlep, too.

9. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Depends on the application, but I'm a 410 guy with a definite soft-spot for 212 cabs :)

10. bassmahn

bassmahn

Mar 14, 2007
    Minneapolis MN
    My application would be playing progressive metal with 2 loud guitarists :)

11. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    Depends on the head youre using. I have a HT322 and that thing has ultra deep lows that seem to surround you and the sweetest highs due to that big horn. My GS410 is much punchier but not as deep with a harsher high end due to the tweeter. My Mesa 2x12 seems to have a stronger, clearer fundamental, is deep but with a pronounced midrange. With that in mind you pair them up with the head that compliments that tone. For metal/rock i think the 2x12 or 4x10 would have the best chance of cutting through. I would imagine a 412 would be devastating.

12. bassmahn

bassmahn

Mar 14, 2007
    Minneapolis MN
    I have a SWR Grand Prix with a Carvin Power amp..

13. Walking

Walking

Apr 5, 2010
    Minnesota
    There are a few answers to this. For sound, I prefer an 18 inch. I like miles and miles of low notes and don't care about the high frequencies. Hate to haul it around though, hence a 2x10.

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    This really depends on the brand. I have a 2x10, a 4x10 and a 2x12. Each has a use - but my favorite setup is my 2x10 + 4x10 and a good dance gig. I'm considering selling my 2x12 - I just don't use it much.

15. bassmahn

bassmahn

Mar 14, 2007
    Minneapolis MN
    Thanks for the input everbody!

16. alfaBAT9

alfaBAT9

Apr 12, 2009
    Toronto, ON
    I've been all around the block with cabs:

- started with a 4x10
    - then went down to a 2x10
    - then way back up to a 4x10+1x15
    - then down again to a 2x10+1x15
    - then down to a 1x12
    - and now I've finally settled on a 1x12+1x12

The 2 12's are by far my favorite. I opted for the 2 separate 1x12's for lifting/transportation reasons.

17. One time I had to play through my guitarist's spare 4x12 when my cabinet was accidentaly left at the rehearsal room. I loved the tone. The 12's seem to have sweet low-mid that sounds very musical. I've always been curious about a 12'' set-up, but haven't really had the opportunity to try out bass specific cabs. If were to go out on a limb and speculate, I would run either a 4x12 or two 2x12 cabs.

18. Walking

Walking

Apr 5, 2010
    Minnesota
    Trace elliot made a bass 4x12 that looked just like a slanted marshall cabinet except for the green covering. Probably sounded pretty good, but the weight was what one would expect...

Something about the 4x10 that seems to have captured bass player's imaginations and don't see many 4x12s around...

Maybe a bit off-topic, but had an eden 4x10 once and the wood gave off some kind of putrid odor. I actually took it apart to look for a dead squirrel or something, but it was perfectly clean inside. Would have been great for a smokey bar, but it stunk up the room at home, and I sold it. The guy I bought it from said he worked with eden on experimental designs, and maybe it was an unusual wood. Got it on the cheap--got what I paid for.

19. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Horses for courses. I do a fair amount of jazz gigs where the Berg AE112 is plenty of cab. And it is about the lightest/easiest to carry cab out there that still has big tone. That said, if I need punch in a louder gig (eg my current funk band that is bass/drums/guitar/sax/trombone/percussion), to me nothing works as well as 10s. For that I just moved to an AE210 and that cab just kills. The plan is if I'm playing a bigger room with no PA support or outdoors I'll run the 112 under the 210.

31lbs for the 112, 40lbs for the 210. I don't do heavy any more...

20. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have just about every type cab that there is:
    three 2x15's
    two 2x10's
    two 2x12's
    one 1x18
    two 8x10's
    two 4x12's
    one 4x10
    and one 6x10

lately, i've been using my 2x12's ( either my accugroove el whappo jr or my custom 1212/6), and they're giving me everything that i've ever wanted (and that's with NO FOH support), so i voted for the 2x12.