Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x10 vs. 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Gone, Mar 7, 2002.

1. I currently have a Hartke 4.5XL cabinet and am thinking of switching to a 2x12 or a pair of 1x12's. What are your thoughts on the 2 configurations? Is the 2x12 as loud as the 4x10? What are the differences in sound? I play mostly rock/blues/funk.
    Thanks!

2. Hey Mr. Gone,
    Welcome aboard. Funny you should ask the 4x10 vs. 2x12 question, because I'm contemplating that myself right now. Long story short, my conclusion is a good 2x12 can beat a 4x10.
    Now, here's the long story.. :D
    I recently visited Bass Central and A/B'd the cabinet I currently use -- an Eden D-410XLT -- against the Aguilar 2x12. And I liked the Aguilar better. It sounded comparable to the Eden, but more, ya know? It was ballsier, for sure. I also A/B'd, here in Atlanta, the Eden against the Bergantino 2x12. I think I liked the Eden better, but I'm going back soon to do that test again.
    I e-mailed Aguilar and they told me that their 2x12 can handle the 700 watts from my SWR SM-900 bridged, but my Eden 4x10 would get louder if I really pushed the volume. But, since I never have my master volume above 2 or 3, I'm not worried.
    My Eden is up for sale, and I plan on buying the Aguilar 2x12.

3. 2-12's will give you a beefier sound.

I've heard that the ultimate rig is 4-10's and 2-12's
    instead of 4-10's and 1-15.

The smaller the speaker ,the quicker the response, the more punch but less fullness.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm a recent convert to 212's. I'm also dumping an Eden D410XLT, just like Dave. I'm getting all I want and more from an Epifani T212 driven by an EA iamp600. I'm keeping my Eden 210, 115 and 215, however. Nice to have combinations available for different rooms.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I love my new Aguilar 1x12 (two of them) setup. It blow away my old 2x10, 1x15 Carvin stack. Very loud, nice and punchy, good deep response. I am surprised that 1x12s and 2x12s are just now catching on as the next big thing. I guess cabinet makers have just gotten better at the 12" systems.

-KB

6. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have a 4x10 cab but I bought an Ernie Ball Music Man HD212 2x12 cab and returned it two weeks later. The Music man had a really cool midrange thing going on but the 2x12 cab became really distorted around low G on the E string of a 4-string bass.

I have no other comparison for the 2x12's so I will only say to stay away from the Music Man 2x12.

7. Thanks for the info! It sounds like a 2x12 is definitely worth checking out, now it's up to the ears to decide. Just one more question, is there any difference between a 2x12 and 2 1x12's? Just curious if there is any advantage to one over the other soundwise. Thanks again!

8. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a Peavey 410TXF, which is a nice 410, one of Peavey's better efforts. It is plenty lound and punchy for bar-band use, which is as loud as I ever get with on-stage sound.

I just got a pair of Epifani 112s, since I do a lot of folk and other low-volume stuff and hauling the 410 around (it weighs over 90 lbs) can be a pain. I got two 112s so they can be carried around one-hand and with no back strain. Most of the time I am just using one 112, it works great. A year or two back I never would have believed that I would go back to 12" speakers, let alone just one of them, but the current generation of 12s is really something.

The two of them together really pump some air, I won't be needing the 410 any more. I haven't compared them with an Epifani 212, but the box dimensions are pretty close for either the 212 or the pair of 112s, so I would suspect there isn't much difference. Of course, an Epifani 212 ain't cheap and two 112s are even more expensive, but I think I will have these for a long time. I have seen an Epifani 212 used on BassGear recently at a reasonable price.

9. mpapi

mpapi

Sep 9, 2001
    Hamilton, NJ
    I have an Epifani T212 and I can tell you the thing rocks!!! It has a recommeded wattage of 600 RMS at 4 ohms, but I sent them an email and a tech there said you can drive it with up to 1000 watts RMS. I used to use a the 4.5 hartke and this kills that, but that was 8 ohms and this is 4, so that explains the difference in volume. It's lighter and somewhat smaller that the hartke. You will lose a little punchiness due to the 12's, but it sounds incredible. I haven't tried 2 112 compared to the 212, but I'm sure the sound is almost identical. BTW the 212 has a tweeter with a seperate volume knob, I don't know if the 112 has that.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I played gigs with bassists using that Hartke sitting on a 15 pushed by a GK head and been laughed at as I set-up my BagEnd 1x12 on top of my BagEnd 1x15 with 300watt AMP head... mostly equating it to the Marshal Micro Stack. ...
    ... only till sound check :D

barr none... my old rig blew everything else away in terms of tone, volume and air pressure.

I'm currently shopping for a BagEnd D12 but I'd like to play through the new SWR

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    That's a sweet cab, ain't it? I'm driving mine with a Euphonic Audio iamp 600. Clean, powerful, transparent and just plain GOOD! Unless I'm playing outside, that small rig will handle just about any club.

12. According to the Bass Player 1x12 shootout the Aguilar 1x12 has a tweeter with an attenuator. Just wondering if 2 1x12's might have a little more punch than a 2x12 since there would be two tweeters. What do you guys think? Thanks!

13. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Do you think the Bag End 12 and 15 make a good pair?

I have an S15-D, and I'm looking for a second cab to pair with it. I'm leaning towards another S15-D, but I'm also considering a 2x10 or 1x12...

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    The 12 had a slightly better tone to it. that's why I'm looking to try their D12 instead of the 2 individual cabs.

BTW... the only reason I don't have them now is I sold everything except my Yamaha acoustic a few years back for school money... I'm just coming back to the bass and my senses

15. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yeah I have a tweeter in both my Ag 112s and I keep the level at about midpoint on each. I don't know if it adds much to the sound over a 2x12, but I like it. one thing to note about having two 1x12s, they are more portable than a 2x12. I can easily carry both (or one at a time if I am feeling weak) with no back strain. the 2x12 will be heavier.

My only real complaint was that Aguilar should have put handles on both sides of the cabinet, but its not that big of deal.

-KB

16. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Hi,

I've been really thinking about the Bagend stuff and I'd like to hear more from those people that use them. Especially as to whether the coax version is worth the money or not.

I don't want to steal this thread so I will offer some input. I used to use the 4.5XL Hartke cab. One day it developed an annoying buzz and I had to take it apart. I was HORRIFIED at what a piece of crap it was inside. Binding posts?? What binding posts. It has connectors that looked too shabby for radio shack to sell. How about the blind nuts and machine screws that say SWR uses to attach the speaker to the cabinet. Ummm they used those cheap black hardware screws and no nuts! These cabs are total junk. Anything has got to be a step up!

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If you go by the specs on the websites it looks like one 2/12 cabinet is more efficient & and have a lower frequency response than the 1/12's.
    Aloha, Jerry

18. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I really dig the sound I get out of both my Epi. 2x12 and 1x12. The 2x12 will handle any gig short of an arena, and probably most arena shows as well.