Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4X10 w/2X10 OR 4X10 w/1X15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzanderson, May 24, 2004.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If I could get the above stacks at the same price which in your opinion would benefit me more for medium sized gigs? I play a 5 string EB SUB (fingerstyle...no slap or pick) in a hard rock/punk rock band. What do you Tbers think? Your opinions are GREATLY appreciated. I'm playing through a Hartke 3500 head.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

2. Either one will do a great job, pick the one that sounds the best to YOU. Just a thought, did you consider the 2x10 with 1x15?

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Greybeard,
    I did consider that but I think I need to move more air. I'm currently playing a 2X15" CHEAPO. So...I was thinking of replacing with either the 1X15" and 4X10" or 2X10" and 4X10". I'm leaning towards the 2X10"/4X10" because of speaker surface area and volume but I'm hoping I won't lack bottom end this way.
    -Bazz-

4. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I don't think that you'll be missing out on any bottom end with the 410/210 setup. Smaller speakers morph into really big ones when you get enough of them together. Probably won't be as boomy but, for me at least, boomy isn't always a good thing.

5. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I have a 410, a 210, and a 115, so I can put together all of the possible combinations. I always use the 410 on top of the 115. It's simply personal preference.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'vefound that I get more lows from a 4x10 than from a 1x15, which is opposite of my long-held assumption that a 15 would go deeper.

One thing a 15 WILL do, though, is throw the low end farther into the room. If you use PA support, get the 2x10. If you have to fill the room with your amp, then get the 1x15.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    There is a New Cab Company coming out this Summer NAMM show. The Design’s are new, not like the standard 410, 310, etc. box’s. They are making 410 and 310’s, but not in the normal manor your use to. The design creates more low end while the focus of design was to retain the clarity. The crossovers were designed by one of the Engineers that developed a highly respected European bass cab company. The Cabinets are Schroeder’s, and the designer sure did some new design’s to create amazing low end with extreme throw from the cab’s while having crystal clarity and being articulate on each note. I know a few people that tested proto-types and they’ve been tested with everything from 7 string with B D-tuned still holding complete focus and clarity which is important to many ERB. So I’m pretty excited to get them in my hands to check out.

I know this past weekend the bassist for Coco Montoya who owns pretty much all the high-end cab’s you could mention played the Schroeder’s all weekend and wanted 4 of them. His statement was that the “sound is a lot more round and even than the super expensive……….. cabinets; and Cleaner and deeper than the ……. and ………., lighter in weight and a lot more compact.” I know the volume and low end of the 410 Schroeder has been compared to that of a 610 and 810 of other brands.

I know Pricing on these cab’s are going to be very affordable. The website for them isn’t up yet, but will be probably in the next month or so. I’ve got a few of them coming to me, so I’ll take pictures. Just another cab to throw in the confusion J

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Have any of you guys used or heard of someone using a 2X15" and a 2X10" together? Seems like alot of lows plus the highs and high mids from the 2X10" but I don't know if it's a workable option. I know I could get a 2X10" at 16ohms making my total ohm load (I think) around 5ohms so it's feasable there...just wondering about sound/tone quality.
    -Bazz-

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Never mind....i figured out the total ohm load with this set up would be around 3.2 which is too low for my cab. Oh well.
    -Bazz-