Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x10 w/ no horn tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jim primate, Oct 26, 2003.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

does anyone know what a 4x10 w/ no tweeter would sound like? i don't like having extras around in my setup and am thinking about getting some tweeterless cabs.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I would think it would sound much better. I hate horns. I turn them off in all my cabs. The treble response is reduced somewhat, but I feel it makes the overall tone much thicker.

No one can hear the horn beyond 20 feet anyway.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you do not do a lot of slap/pop or use a lot of harmonics, you probably won't miss the tweeter at all. In fact it may sound better.

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I turn them off in my cab. I don't like the slight hum they give off. I think it sounds better with them off also. Its got more bottom to it.

5. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Sometimes I like give the tweeter just about 10-20%, I find that they give you a bit more focused sound,presence and make you cut through a bit better, Normally though, I don't use them, but great to have as an option. It also depends which bass, pre-amp-settig you use. Why not get a cab with an adjustable tweeter?

6. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I've completely abolished tweeters. I've blown too many of them and I'm tired of messing with them.

Now I just use my wah pedal if I need to boost those upper frequencies. Sounds a lot cleaner.

7. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I have used a couple of Hartke cabs(410BXL,410TP)that did not have horns and they sounded great. But,they are also aluminum drivers.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If you don't mind a couple extra tens, the Bergantino NV610 has no tweeter. That's become my new #1 gig cab. At just 100lb or so, it's in the same weight range as most 410 cabs. It is bulkier though.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    i use a hartke 410 without a tweeter, and one with. The one with is on the floor, so I don't hear it. I could live without it. I like a rounder sounding bass. Even for slap, they don't sound too bad. But on my eden, I need the tweeter, slightly rolled off.

10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I'm very happy with my tweeterless Bag End Q10B

11. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I agree these cabs sound really great.

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    The only tweeterless 410 I've heard was a Tech21 410. comparing side by side with a Eden 410xst, It was INCREDIBLE! more midrange than the eden and just as much bottom! I'd highly recommend checking them out! www.tech21nyc.com

Here is my original tech21 410 post