Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x10 w/ or without tweet...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Jan 22, 2002.

1. 4X10 with tweeter

60 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. 4X10 without tweeter

19 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. other suggestion(list)

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. :confused:

Hey, guys.A little question, I'm looking into a purchase of a 4X10 and I want to know weither my 4X10 should have a compression tweeter or not, cause frankly I've heard goods about both, criticism always welcome, thanks!!

2. Unless you're using the cabinet as the sole bass speaker for FOH, a tweeter is kinda pointless.

If the cabinet is being mic'ed, chances are the mic placement won't pickup HF content from the tweeter, so in the end the tweeter is really only for your own stage sound/monitoring.

If you're not mic'ing or DI'ing your rig into a PA, and using the cabinet's stage sound as the FOH sound, then a tweeter *might* help the sound "sing" a bit more.

I'm always mic or DI into a PA, so I ignore the tweeter on my 4x10 (I also continually blow the protection bulb also which annoys me).

3. whats a tweeter anyways??

4. The high-frequency driver (speaker) in a cabinet that reproduces all the treble sizzle.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Off to Amps.

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have a Tweeter in my Ampeg 4 10 and I keep it almost all the way off anyway so, I vote no Tweet!
    I haven't heard one I liked yet!
    JMHO:)

7. I voted tweeter.

It seems to bring out my pbass with the quarter pounders and SVT head.

It's overkill with the stingray.

I have not tried it with a G&L yet.

Makes the jazz more slap/pop friendly.

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Xnay on tweeters for me. My 2 Edens have them, turned off.

Mike

9. I've yet to hear a really good tweeter, but they are prolly out there. I built my cabs w/o the tweeter because of this. I don't see myself needing one either...

So (Pumps shotgun) no tweeters (Cah-Boom)

10. You need to have at least one cabinet in your rig that include a tweeter or you will lack the highs which will in turn make your sound muddy. If the 4x10 is your only cab then it MUST have a tweeter!

11. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Tweeters suck.

I LIKE a crisp, articulate high end, but tweeters are just overkill.

12. I have a Warwick Sweet 15 combo (15")without a tweeter.... when I play on his big brother, with tweeter, the bass will sound much better !!!!

okay..the sweet15 is a very "warm" amp, but I miss the tweeter !

13. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Just a quick question. When you turn off the tweeter, does it disengage the internal crossover. It seems to me that if you turned off the tweeter, that it would cut ALL of your high end.

Just wondering.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Get a 4x10 with a continuously variable attenuator for the tweeter. If you don't like the tweeter you can simply turn it off, no big deal. Or, you can adjust it to taste.

I use SWR cabinets, which are very bright. I roll the tweeters *almost* all the way off, but I don't like them to be completely off.

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i vote yes, because you can always turn it off.

on my goliath jr i have it probably 75% on, the triad is maybe 20% on.

i like it bright :)

jason

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Tweet tweet!

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm not enough of a nit picker to really demerit the Tweets, but I am more concerned with low end. (Damn that heavy metal!). I keep mine at about 1/3 on for the occasional slap lines I get that require the higher registers.

18. Hey, Guys thanks for the replies, I'd like to keep this thing going, since I need all of the feedback I can get, I'm deciding between a Madison and an SHS audio, I've heard good things about the Madi, and I kinda like the SHS, Madison Speakers here's the link, if you want prices Go Here no pics, but I can get the SHS Blue Diamond 4X10 w/tweeter(blue, hence the "Blue Diamond") and it's about $300 ish.Check 'em out, but look at the Madison 8X10w/tweeters, three of 'em, I'd like to see a Carvin Red-Eye like that.Check 'em.
    Bryan

19. I've found tweeters add hand/fingernoise and the harsher overtones.

Then again, you can still turn it off.

20. 66jazzbass

66jazzbass

Aug 8, 2001
    NY, NY
    They're nice to have plus you can always turn it off, unless of course your cabinet doesn't allow you to. But for slapping (oh no not the S word) it makes a big difference.................