4x10 with a 5string?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnL, Aug 15, 2001.

1. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Currently playing through a Hartke 410XL, and now I'm getting the jones for a 5-string. Anyone getting a good sound wth a 4x10 and a 5-string, or am I going to have to add a 15 or 18? I run direct into the PA, so I don't need to fill up the room with my rig. I just don't want farty sounds at mid power levels because of speaker limitations. Thanks!
  2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I use 2 410 cabinets with my 5-string. Sound is awesome. But then i'm driving my cabinets with 445 watts RMS of tube power.
    10 years ago I used a single 15" cab with my 410. I wasn't happy with the 15" so I sold it and added another 410 cab. I've never regreted it. I prefer the tight response of 10" speakers over 15's & 18's, but that's just my personal preference.
    You won't have any problems getting a good sound from your 410 cabinet. Hartke make good cabs but you must realize that sound is a subjective issue, and that only YOU can decide if you're pleased with or not. You may just want to add a single 15" cab to your rig to get the sound you're looking for. Just make sure your amp is able to supply a clean undistored signal to your cabinet and you'll be fine.
    Good luck
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I run a Trace Elliot V4 (220w) into a Transporter 4x10 (200W) with both volumes halfway. I like the sound with a low B and there are no funny noises. Well actually someone borrowed it and complained of funny noises with the amp almost maxed and slapping a bass without a compressor. I had a little word with them.
  4. I've got an acquaintance who uses a 4.5XL and a Modulus Quantum 5, and he seems to get a decent B-string response. The idea that you need a 15" or 18" driver to get a good low-B sound is ridiculous--if anything, your average bolt-on 5-string bass doesn't even send enough fundamental to the amp to make larger drivers necessary. What's more important is EQ and cabinet placement.

Don't boost the bass--ever. There's no quicker way to soak up every watt of power your amp can put out and fart out your cabs. Since the Hartke cabs don't have that big of low-end response (the way, say, Eden ones do), you'll probably need to have the cab sitting on the floor instead of on casters--and if the room is bassy, you may want to actually cut bass on the amp to clean it up.

I've been using a Dean Edge Custom 5 (good bass, crap B) into a pair of Eden D-210Ts for the last seven months, and as wobbly as the bass' B is, I still get compliments on my tone. It really depends on how you EQ.
  5. I would say that you should be able to get some great sounds out of that Hartke 4x10 using a 5-string. A good 2x10 or 4x10 will give you punchy, solid, and musical lower-register response with plenty of authority and clarity AS LONG AS YOU HAVE ENOUGH CLEAN POWER. You may be amazed by the improvement in the *quality, not quantity* of your sound after increasing your amount of clean power. Granted, you can go too far and damage your speakers, but as long as the power amp is not amplifying a distorted or over-loaded signal coming from the preamp, your speakers should be pretty safe.

If you want more volume (quantity, not quality), increase the number of speakers. Speakers are pistons that move air; the more pistons, the more air moved, the louder you are.

I play through an Acme Low B2, and I love it! It's a small 2x10, but I can get it to make some seriously wonderful noise (provided that I have my act together that night). By providing the Acme with tons of power (1,200 watts) and keeping my preamp signal clean (low input gain, higher output gain), I am able to get the most out of those speakers sonically and still have lots of headroom.

I hope this helps.
  6. When you find a brand you are really interested in, call the manufacturer and ask them if the cab is tuned at, or below, 31 Hz. Sunn/Fender is notorious for not disclosing any information because it relates to "tone". The point of the call is to find out if the cab will handle your low B at full power. Ported cabs roll off and unload very quickly below the tuning frequency, and you can tell 'em this on the phone to see what they say.

One of the regulars here verified his Eden 210XLT with a signal generator and digital VOM, and found it was tuned at 38 Hz. This may or may not provide sufficient cone loading to 31 Hz... only measurements and observation of the cone motion would tell for sure.

FWIW, I play industrial strength 5-string and live on the low B in small venues without PA support for the bass. My rig is 15" subwoofers, bi-amped, and crossing over at 100 Hz to JBL E110s for the highs. The subs are power hungry, so I use a QSC MX-3000a to drive them.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've gotten awesome low-B action out of an Eden D410XLT, 8 ohm cab mono-bridged with an Eden WT 800. The basses were my 'Ray 5, Smith 6 and Roscoe 7, all of which have killer b's.
  8. I run my EDC through an SWR 4004 into an Eden cx410 ( 2nd one coming up soon :D ), and the B sounds nice full & tight, not a floppy B like my old amp with 1x15 used to do..

basic rule : it's all in the EQ :D