Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x10s or 2x12s good for 5 string

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhatBoi5, Jan 3, 2003.

1. I have had many problems finding a cab that could handle my low b workouts(no slapping btw) I have had 2x15 and 2x12s and I would rather scale down to a 4x10 pair or 410 and 2x12 setup(even a 6x10 is the $$ is right) I am familiar with the frequencies of the Low b and how manufacters fudge numbers so any 5 stringers that can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Also I run an aguilar 659 and Carver pm1400 power amp (700w at 4ohms/side) for the head

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    how do you like the aggy 659? i want to check one of those out.

3. Bergantion has just come out with a killer NV610 cab. It's supposed to be the vintage sound. It's a close cab. See the posts on Bergantion with GibsonGeek he is a dealer and consultant with that new cab.

4. im definately not a "vintage sound" type. I like the warmth but not the lack of diversity they have

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Bergantino HT212 has incredible low end and would be a great bottom cab. If that wasn't enough by itself you could put pretty much anything on top of it, 4x10, 3x10, 2x10, whatever.

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I use an Aguilar DB659 into a Carver PM 1.5 with an older Epifani 2x12 and it is more than enough with my 5's. Almost too much bass - I turned it up and almost knocked myself off the stage!

My pre/power setup is similar to yours, so the comparison should be valid.

Dan K.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Bergie 2/12 has massive low end! I have Edenxlt /SWR 4/10 cabs that I rent to sound companies and the Bergie's low end just smokes them! The other cool thing about Bergies is they also have the smoothest tweeters & crossovers I've heard yet:cool:

8. I love it. I liked the 359 when I had it but it didnt kick enough power for the cabs I had. It also has the quietest XLR out I have ever heard

9. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I have an EBS 2x12 and it has devastating low end with great clarity and articulation. It easily pumps out the same low end of any single 15 I've ever owned.