Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x10's.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott D, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, so right now i have a huge ampeg cab (4x10 + 1x15) and a 2x15. I want to get rid of the ampeg cab and buy a 4x10 (so a 4x10/2x15 setup). I found a guy who will buy my cab for about $425, and that's what i'm planning on spending for a 4x10. It has to be 8 ohm. What is a good 4x10 that would work pretty well with a 2x15? (i don't need extreme lows from it, but it can't break up at high volumes) Thanks alot guys. Oh, if you have any other suggestions (2x10, 1x12, 2x12 etc) please suggest those too. Something like a Mesa would be beautiful, but what series, and can they be had for around $425? I'm looking new/used, preferably used. I will be using an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro, and a DBX 163X compressor. Basses will be Rickenbacker 4003 and a Ibanez ATK-300, but i plan on adding a Ibanez BTB405 pretty soon. Music is somewhat hardcore, (not like slipknot, but more like Broken social scene, the microphones, fugazi, sonic youth, the locust, etc...)

Thanks,
    Scott D

2. i'd check out avatar 4x10s, you can buy a new one shipped for under 400. avatar cabs are great, i have a 2x10 and theres nothing i want more from it. www.avatarspeakers.com

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, i was thinking about them, but they handle 1400 watts, and i will be giving them 225W. That's severe underpowering. But would that be fine? Would they distort?

Thanks,
    Scott D

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Damn Scott, man, you are the biggest gear WHORE i've ever known.

Slut :p :rolleyes:

5. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    BUMP!!!
    For this question.:D

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Everything will be fine unless you clip it. If you used it to the max, it would clip. But since there is no headroom, i'm not sure if I would do that. But it is fine as long as you don't clip it.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Once again, there is no such thing as underpowering cabs. There is being underpowered for your situation when you need more volume but your amp is clipping.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love Broken Social Scene. best band i've heard this month thus far.

btw, i see that you're using a compressor. word of advice:

if you're running the compressor to lift the low signals to louder levels, that could be a HUGE danger for your amp. you're running a bluntly strong signal with no dynamics or points of low volume that could literally shear your speakers to pieces.

btw, i find the Mesa's to be rather harsh, but they do cut like a mutha.

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Joker-I know a little OT, but you should also check out The Microphones. If you can find a cd called "The Glow Pt. 2" pick it up immediatley. It is somewhat broken social scene-esque, and it's a great album. Pick it up if you can.

Stephen- I know i'm a gear whore. It's alot of fun.

Peace,
    Scott D.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Should be fine. This underpowering this is a bit misunderstood.

According to the engineering guys on TB, when an amp clips, it puts out more power than it's official wattage rating. At 100% clip distortion, meaning so much distortion it would sounds so bad you couldn't use it, the amp puts out 2 to 2.5 times it rated power. So yours will hit 450 to 550w at full blown clip. If the speakers are rated at 1400w, it can handle 550w even if the signal is dirty. However if your speaker was rated at 350 or 400w, there could be a problem.

That doesn't mean that it's impossible to blow these speakers. It just means that clipping on it's own would not be the culprit in this case.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I use an Eden D410XLT with my 215. Those cabs together sound awesome to me.

I think they may be a little more than your price range, but definitely worth it if you can round up the extra cash. You could prolly find one for $500.

-Mike

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ok, so i'm serioulsy considering the Avatar cabinet, because i have found one used at a good price. Can someone comment on the sound? I don't need extreme lowend or anything, just good low mids/mids/highs to cut through, because the 2x15 isn't very good for that on it's own (it doesn't have any tweeters or anything, just 2 15's) I just need some punch. Would the avatar 4x10 be good for this?

Thanks,
    Scott D.