Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x12 advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, Jun 12, 2002.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Howdy!

I got a very good deal on an old ('70s?) Acoustic 105 4x12" cab. Does anybody know anything about these?

It's larger than most 4x12s, so that makes me think it was designed for bass. But it's not ported, so that makes me think it's for guitar. Thoughts?

I usually just run a 2x10 because most of the FOH sound is produced by the PA. However, I might be able to use a bigger cab occasionally for outdoor shows, etc. Unfortunately, I do not like how it sounds (you can't really try out stuff first at auctions). So, I'm considering replacing the speakers, or porting it myself, or both, or just getting rid of it.

What advice do you have for me?

Thanks,

Jon

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    bump

Anybody? Is it a bad idea to add ports to an existing cab? 12" speaker recommendations? Should I just sell or trade it? Anybody want an Acoustic 105?

Thanks,

Jon

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    To me......it wouldn't be worth the trouble!

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK thanks, that's 2 votes to resell it - you agree with my wife :D

Acoustic made good amps in the '70s, didn't they? Why don't we hear much about them today?

5. lol this is funny because this is the exact same cabinet my uncle gave me to play through. I played through it for a while and got tired of it. I bought an avatar 2x10 and its louder and the sound is much better than the acoustic. Its probably because its like 30 years old but this thing isnt very good for bass. I gave it to my friend who plays guitar and he loves it. im sure you can find someone who would want it.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    In the late 60's through the 70's Acoustic was one of the best amp makers....Amgeg & Sunn too! They where the first companies to make loud bass amps.......I still have a Acoustic 470 head I got 25 years ago.......and it's loud:D

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its not a good idea to add ports or change the speakers since all of this is used to tune the cab.

Basically the speakers used decide the size of the box and the size of the box decides the size of the ports, and all of this is tied into the frequency the system is tuned to.

Dont bother keeping it to modify it, just sell it.

Peace
    Nick

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Cool, I'll sell or trade it. Thanks for all of the good advice. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like the sound. Maybe it is for guitar, but this thing is huge -- it's about a foot taller than most 4x12s.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    a foot? dang... marshall's TV4x12 is like 4 inches taller and thats big to me... but a foot? dang!

10. is this it?

11. valiantdefender

valiantdefender

Apr 8, 2012
    Just pulled the Acoustic 105 down from my mom's attic. Bought it brand new. I'm gonna put some beefier speakers in it and see what happens. Will let you know.

12. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Reckon it will make a mint guitar cab for Doom. Or a toppy guitary bass cab for doom, with something else holding the lows.