Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x12 Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Persuader, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    I have a chance to buy an Ampeg 4x12 guitar cab not ported and very ridged(heavy). It needs speakers so what make do you think will work and how would the sound compare to a 4x 10? I use a Trace Eliot 250 and play an Alembic with a P p/u , use flats with a pick and play Beatles and 70's.

2. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    i dont think 12" bass speakers would fit in a cab designed for 12" guitar speakers but i may be wrong.

3. Pass it by. :D

Look for a bass-specific cabinet that is ported. You will be much happier with the sound. Mis-matching bass drivers and cabinets gives lousy results.

4. I happen to own a 4x12 Ampeg guitar cab. But I do not use it for bass. Like bgavin said, you'll get lousy results, so I say forget about it.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Another endorsement of what bgavin says.

The guitarist in a former band of mine had two Ampeg 4x12's, which I tried my Precis through when it was the only amp set up in the room and we were just goofing. Two things I didn't like -

1. Aside from the lack of porting, the cab lacked the necessary depth to allow for enough air between the speaker and the back of the cab for the sound waves to bounce off of. The gutsiness and rumble of a true bass cab wasn't there.
    As a result, my mid freq's were emphasized way beyond any other freq's. It sounded boxy and well....."guitarish."

2. Just a personal preference, but I don't like 12's for bass at all. They lack the quickness and pop of 10's. Plus, they don't have the "massive" depth of 15's and 18's. If you want bass coming through your feet, you don't want 12's, IMO.