Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x12 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Beast, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Bass Beast

Bass Beast

Feb 5, 2005
    4x12 cabs are seemingly becoming more widely made for bass. Of the several manufacturers which make them, which would you say sound the best for rock. Marshall do a low priced one, as do ampeg but there are more expensive ones available, what should I go for.

I originally planed on getting an 8x10 once I got all the money, but 2 4x12s seems an alternative option.

What are your thoughts?

2. Will be running through 2, 2 x 12's sortly. Right now I only have the one, but it has a huge sound. I play through a Gallien-Krueger Neo 2 x 12.

Really all you need to be at the same level as a 8 x 10 is a 4 x 12. 8 x 12's would just be massive and beyond overkill.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Nahhh. I want 16 12s. :hyper:

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    SWR makes a 4x12" without tweeter that should be monstrous. I think it's called the "12 Stack." I haven't tried it, but I played through an earlier version of their 2x12", and thought it was awesome. Really an excellent hard rock cab, so eight of those drivers would be seriously killer.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've been looking into 412s and 212s and I found that the Aguilar 412 cab sounds awesome! I've never tried the GK one, nor the Marshall. I played through an old SWR and it didn't sound too good, but I want to find a new SWR. Avatar makes a 212 I have never tried, but if they come out with a neo version I may look into it.
    BTW: Don't go for less than 20 12s. :bassist:

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    there's a bag end Q12 on e-bay right now. but its expensive and heavy. (yeah big and heavy)

the BE twelves are very aggressive, so i think that cab would be a rock monster.

7. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I was recently in the market for a large cab, so I dragged my bass and head to all my local stores and demo'd every 8x10 out there. Then I played an aguilar gs412. This cab is a bit smaller, about 30 lbs lighter than the ampeg 8x10, and in my opinion, way way way better. Depends on your taste though. I play rock with 2 guitars and a loud drummer. Formerly ran a 4x10 + 1x15, and I cut through so buch better now even at lower vloumes. This cab is super loud, and the most clear, defined cab you can get. But take note, if your looking for a less articulate, boomier tone, look to Ampeg. But this cab is loud enough so you will never need more, if you do, your playing an outdoor gig with 50 thousand people and then your sound man will put through you through 100 kajillion watts anyway.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I find 12s "sing" with overdrive better than any other driver.

9. ampeg66

ampeg66

Dec 29, 2002
    Actually, the Aguilar is almost 50 lbs. lighter, 116 vs. 165 for the Ampeg 810, and WAY easier to move around. Plus it kicks the Ampeg's ass if you detune or play a 5er, or happen to like some bottom in your sound. It's definitely one badass mofo. :cool:

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm drooling over the new GK 4x12 to run with my Bassman 135........ :hyper:

11. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my other thought is that any way you slice it, a 4x12 is BIG. probably the aggie 4x12 is the best i've seen on the portablility side, and i give them lots of crdeit for having an "almost vertical" array, (as horizontal arrays have comb filtering problems which tend to comprimise the sound quality). It's no secret that i'm a big fan of modular setups, so i'd be much more likley to use four 1x12 cabs (or two 2x12s, or a 2x12 and two 1x12's ) for portability's sake, and the ability to bring less when the gig didnt need a huge cab. of course, then you're looking at using an amp that can handle 2 ohms, (or at least a "stereo" rig that can handle 4 ohms per side).

the other factor to consider is that even within a given manufaturer's line, two 1x12 cabs will not always sound like their 2x12, and two 2x12 cabs wont sound like their 4x12. this is generally due to the bigger boxes, and the decision not to put each speaker in its own compartment, but rather take advantage of the bigegr box for more lows. more ofthen than not, IME, these lows tend to come at the expense of some midrange definition. (compare epifani's or bergantino's 2x12 cabs to their 1x12 cabs, more lows, but less mids (IME). Both versions sound good, just different.

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just a thought, 8x12's will be overkill. Most people who use 412's (especially aguilars) say how much louder and better it fills a room than your 810 box. 412's are damn heavy man, hauling 8 of them around won't be needed (Ever) and just a pain in the ass.
    I've seen people do stadium gigs with a single Aggy 412.

I'd also suggest looking at getting two 2x12's for portability's sake. Most gigs you'l play wouldn't even need more than a 2x12 with a descent amp, if you need more, bring the other 212.

13. Bass Beast

Bass Beast

Feb 5, 2005
    It looks like the aggy gets quite a few mentions I'll check it out. The reason I thought Id need 2 4x12 cabs is because I've got a 120 watt vintage tube amp and I didn't think there would be enough volume from just one cab. If as you say, a 4x12 is louder than and 8x10, then 2 8x10s would be needed. But I can neither afford 2 8x10s or transport them together.

I'm currently using 2 1x15 cabs and I'm finding that they cannot handle the amp when its cranked so I'm looking to upgrade to something which can and is more full range.

14. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I would really love to get my hands on a 4x12 - probably the Aggie. What would it cost me used? Portability is not really an issue for me, and I need a big low low low sound.

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, if you really need more volume than what would come from a single Aggy 412. I'd look at upgrading the amp with a few more watts. I heard a Mesa 400+ (300 watt tube) through two Aguilar 212's at a gig the other day. Sounded amazing and the mesa was on about 3 or 4 volume from what i could see. The gig was in front of a few thousand and was outside..

16. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i cant imagine needing more than a 4x12 unless pa's were outlawed.

i hate big cabs but the aggie is one of those id own if i had the money and a spot to put it. :cool:

semi-related. today i was hanging at my pals shop. we stacked four bag end 12's vertically (1st time there were ever 4 there) and i fired up my demeter/stewart rig thru 'em for a nice 1300 watt blast.

(insert name of god of choce here as expletive)!!!

not the low end monster that an aggie is, and not the best for 5 string, but no slouch in useable low end either. 8x10? who needs one?

17. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey Ivan, seens that you suggested it before. What would be the best way of running a 212 and two single 12's to get 4ohms (Using aguilar) or would it be better to run at 2? Have any idea of what the sound difference would be running a rig like that would sound like compared to a 2x212 or 412 cab setup?

18. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dont think you can get a 4 ohm load with those cabs in the config you listed.
    as far as tonal difference, i havent been in a room with all of the aggie 12" cabs at once to try it. i'm sure some have, and aggie themselves may be able to give you an answer of sorts.

19. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    yeah robbie merril from godsmack uses them. pretty sweet lookin