Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x12" or 2x15" in addition with my 2x15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doryan, Aug 10, 2002.

1. I currently own a Trace Elliot stack with a 2x15"s cabinet. Wich sounds awesome and almost to perfection to my taste.

But since our band get to play bigger gigs on bigger stages, I'm gonna buy another cab (or maybe even with another head). I don't know if I should get a 4x12" cabinet or just get another 2x15" Trace Elliot.
    What would an 4x12" cabinet do to my sound ?

I play (try to play) progressive metal, I only use my fingers, use only clean and distortion, like to detune my 4-string into DADG, and solo alot.

2. VinnyP666

VinnyP666

Aug 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    I personally like the sound of a 2 x 15 cab better than a 4 x 12 cab. are you going to hook up both cabs together? what kind of head are you thiking of getting?

3. How bout an 8x10 instead of a 2x15? It'll give you more clarity.

4. Right now I have an Trace Elliot AH-500 head, and a Trace Elliot 2x15" cabinet.
    I probably gonna get another cabinet first, but if I would get a new head too, it would be the same Trace Elliot AH-500 (they rule).

I was thinking of getting Marshall VBA 4x12"s or just the same 2x15" I have now.

Would 4x12" give some great texture to my sound, or should I keep it sober and stay with the deep sounding 15"s ?

Almost everyone is crazy about 10"s, but I had that once; 4x10", and I thought it didn't really could represent a bass sound: it couldn't give the proper vibes.

But I solo a lot, would it be better for my notes in the high register to have an 4x12" cab ?

5. I played once on an Ampeg rig with 8x10"s. From a guy who was teaching me how to slap (he didn't succeed :D ). But when I tried some mellow melodies I didn't get the sustain and the vibes I wanted. The 10"s are great for slapping though, gives a really sharp attack.

But like you said: for clarity, perhaps the happy medium: 12" ?

6. 12's are good mix of both. I don't like them, but you might. I slap alot, so I do like my 10's. :D

7. I agree.

I don't slap, I don't like to do it and I can't. Doesn't mean I don't like to hear it or doesn't respect anyone who can. I envy them :p .

If I would play slap bass though, then there's no question about my speakers: 10"'s all the way. But I'm going for the deep heavy sound. :)

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Get a 2-15 with a tweeter.

Im totally with you on the 2-15" cab thing. Nothing sounds as good as them.

What brand 4-12 cab are you thinking about? I dont know of any.

Another idea though is 2 2-12" cabs. I still think 2-15 is best though.

Peace
    Nick

9. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I run a 2x15 and a 2x12 together... sounds very good.

I did do the 4 15's for a while... it was amazing, but it was a pain to lug around.

I'm not a fan of 10's

10. The brand new VBA from Marshall.

Does anyone uses this one or another brand ? How does it sounds ?

11. I agree with Nick, get a 2x15 with a tweeter.