4x12 or 6x12 or 3x15?? Custom made.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ledyard, Mar 2, 2010.

1. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I have a good friend who is a master carpenter/metal worker. I am trying to bludgeon him into building me a custom bass cab. He took my mid 70's Hiwatt front loaded guitar cab a couple years ago and made an exact copy (except 1" deeper). He used douglas fur plywood because it was a prototype. But it ended up turning out perfect and sounds awsome. He has a bunch of baltic birch and I wanna have him build me a bass cab. If I am going custom I was thinking why not go off the wall a little. Like a 6x12 or 3x15. But at the least I want a 4x12.
    What would you players and sonic engineers recomend for a cab like this? Porting, baffleing, ect... I need to try and decide on speakers too. I will be playing Ampeg through it so I want to make the most of that sound. Not super vintagey per say, but nice and punchy and lending itself to the ampeg tone.
    So any build suggestions, construction ideas, speaker ideas, ect are welcome.
    BTW....weight is not a factor in making my decision. Awsomness is.:smug:

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

The problem with odd numbers of drivers such as 6 and 3 is that with readily available speakers you get unusual cabinet impedances.

To design a speaker system you have to research what drivers will suit your goals. Model them and work out what enclosure will suit. I would look at the Greenboy's Fearful designs and look at Bill Fitzmaurice's designs. You should also check out the Eminence designs on their web site.

None of them will fit your exact thought but they will work and work well.

Paul

3. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Yeah I was figuring odd speaker numbers might create impedance issues.
    I have no issues in just going with a 4x12. Or I may just take my money and buy another powerhouse cab.;)

4. Govier966

Govier966

Apr 28, 2009
    New York
    6x12=superfly

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ugh. The reason established plans are established is because they have a lot more trial and error and research put into them than random winisd monsters :) Seconding Bassman Paul's suggestion. For a first attempt I highly recommend following plans.

Edit: I see he knows what he's doing from re-reading. Still suggest using available plans.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021