4x12 vs 4x10+1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by reel big bassist, Aug 21, 2000.

1. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    First things first here's my rig for reference.
    PowerAmp: SVT-300 (Power Section of an SVT)
    Preamp: Peavey T.B.Raxx
    Cabinet: Home-made 4x10 handles 200 rms
    Additonal Amp: Ampeg B-2R 200@8;350@4

I was thinking one night, would it be
    better to have a 4x10 and a 1x15,or have
    one 4x12? The 4x12 I am reffereing to is
    the model peavey currently manufactures. The 4x12 TXF.

It would be great to carry only one cabinet
    around, and it handles 600 watts rms. That's
    more than my 4x10 and a peavey 115 BXBW would be able to handle. http://www.peavey.com/mi/115bx_bw.html
    My 4x10 starts REALLY rattling at about 200 watts.
    It sounds like if I did 16th notes on the low E the speakers would blow. Also, since the 4x12 TXF has a broad frequency range(30Hz to 15kHz), I wouldn't have to biamp.:)

Here is my equation tell me if it is flawwed.
    My 4x10=200 watts. A Peavey 1x15 BXBW=350 watts. My 4x10+ Peavey 115 BXBW=550 watts.
    The 4x12 can handle 600 RMS.

I'm just concened how it will sound sonicly. Does anyone have any experience with
    peavey's 4x12's. I played my bass through one of their
    guitar 4x12 cabs, the tweeter handled the highs pretty
    well, not as clear as my current 10's but I'll live.
    And it pushes more air than my 4x10's.

Greg P

This is how I found out my 4x10 could handle about 200.
    It's an 8 ohm cabinet and my amp is rated 200 watts at 8 ohms. So I took the limiter off and put it to full, and
    the 4x10's sounded like they couldn't take much more. Thank
    goodness their not blown. :)

[Edited by reel big bassist on 08-21-2000 at 05:14 PM]
  2. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Personally, I really like the sound of 15's, so I'd got the 4x10/15 route. With the twelves, you'll be going in a kinda middle of the road situation: slightly more bottom than a 4x10 would produce and slightly more punch than a 15, however, when you're using a stack with both, they make up for each other's deficiencies.

I'd go with whatever sounds better to you. I haven't heard the Peavey so I can't comment on it, though I do think in the end you'd probably get a better definition of sound through the 4x10/15 than the 4x12 (since you'll be losing a little punch and a little bass if you go with the 4x12; in theory anyway). Let's see if anyone else can offer a little bit more info since my experience with 12's is pretty much nil (I'm a 15 man all the way!).
  3. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I certainly like the 410 with 115 better. However, a better quality 410 would give you a better perspective of the 410 sound since you also like the idea of a single cabinet.
    I don't mean to demean in any way your cabinet construction but I assume that your homemade doesn't measure up to an Eden 410XLT or a SWR Goliath.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Keep in mind that Epifani makes a 2x12 cabinet that I have only heard good things about. It also costs more than a Peavey, but you should try it out yourself and see what you like.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i play 4x12" cabs - hartke aluminum cone guitar cabs. they have a unique midrange character to them, a sound that no 4x10" cab could get, at least none that i've tried, and i've tried them all.

however, i also use 1x18" subwoofers, since the bottom end of the 4x12"'s are limited, and besides i play basses with almost a full octave of range below a regular bass, so i like the low end.

still though, the sonic characteristics of cabs with 12" speakers are really different than the usual 10" loaded cabs. i wouldn't trade my 4x12"'s for anything.
  6. alternative roster

alternative roster

Aug 21, 2000
    i preferr my 4x10+1x15 is gives me a lot of punch with a moderate amount of low end. but go with what sounds best to the style you play.
  7. RBB-

I swear by my Peavey 412. I currently am using a 410 and 412 together, but will be replacing the 410 next month with another 412. IMO they are as punchy as the tens, but fill up the bottom much more. I am completely sold on 12s. My guitar player thanked me immensely when I picked up the 12s and my bass playing friends are amazed at my sound. Try the cab out. Some of us love 12s, many hate 'em. Its all personal preference.

8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I've been using two Peavey 410TX (700 watts each @ 8 ohms) cabinets now for the past 8 yrs and i've been very happy with them. My only complaint is the port is in the rear of the cabinet. I love the size of these cab and their portability. They also sound fantastic with my amp.
    I've checked out the new 410TXF (also 700 watts @ 4 OR 8 ohms, switchable) cabinet with the port now in the front of the cabinet and I was very impressed with the added bottom end that I now heard coming from the front of the cabinet (rather than from the rear).
    I also checked out the 412TXF and was impressed with it's sound. But it is a little too large and too heavy for me to move by myself when I need to. It's also a 4 ohm cabinet only. My amp handles a 4 or 8 ohm load. Two 412TXF's would place a 2 ohm load on the amp and cause damage to it. So I decided too purchase two new 410TXF's and sell my 410TX cabs.
    This combination works fantastic for me with my amp, my basses and my style of playing (fingers only).
  9. Alyosha09

Jun 16, 2000
    I guess Ill get a 4x12 then
  10. BigAlex

Jun 12, 2000
    I agree... a 4x10 and a 15 is significantly better than a 4x12, the reason being the 10s will really "sparkle" and give you a good crisp high end with pops and whatever and the 15 will help bring out the low end. If you decide to go with 12s you just wont get the same tone. Basically a 12 is sort of a Jack of all trades master of none whereas 10s are geared more toward the higher end stuff and 15s the lower end. Anyhoo... I play a 2 10 w/ a 15 and its awesome. I'd like a 4 10 but the $$$ just isnt there. Anyhoo... 10 and 15 all the way.
  11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    12's!!!!!!!! definately 10s suck =P (imo) 10's are too... weeeeiiirrrddd for me 12's have it all all u need is one 4 12 cab and u get punch and low down bass but with 410's u have to spend more and get a 15 and it still doesnt compare.. when i get money i want to get 2 of those peavey 412tx cabs and a hartke ha7000 head woohooo until then im adding a 15 to my already bassy ampeg 412 cab its the best cab i have played through its bassier than my g**tar players older brtohers hartke with 4 10's and a 15 =P
  12. Bassdumpster

Sep 6, 2008
    Firebass 700 and 2 BW 15 Cabs...You guys can keep the 10s and 12s..Moving much air and azz...