1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4x15 Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by louderthangod, Mar 29, 2013.

1. louderthangod

louderthangod

Aug 22, 2012
    Alameda, Ca
    Last week I stumbled across the site for the Monolith 415 RFL cab based on the Acoustic cabs. I've tried contacting them but I get no response so I'm assuming they're not in business anymore. I'd also be interested in finding a Sunn 415B but they're pretty hard to find locally. So a couple of things...do any of you know where I might be able to get cabs like this? If not, I've tried looking blueprints of these cabs so I could try and find a local builder, so do you know where I can find the blueprints or dimensions? I know a 4x15 isn't for most folks, a friend of mine has a Matamp 4x15 and I'm used to running a lot of volume live, I especially like the relatively compact design of the Acoustic style.
    http://www.monolith-loudspeakers.com/415-rfl.html

2. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Cool looking cabs for sure...betcha a donut there are 215 cabs with better drivers that could surpass this cab handily :)

3. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Monolith has some issues.

I don't know if anyone currently builds a 4x15 besides Electric Amp. Probably lots of custom builders would if you asked them to.

4. Look up beaming and comb filtering and then build a monitor cab and a PA system for less money.

5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm with you in spades. :D

If the OP really wants a 415, he'd be better to do two 215s. But it's really hard, really hard, to imagine how a single 215 with the right drivers & built by the right outfit ( :bassist: ) couldn't suffice 95%+ of bassists.

6. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I heard one of those cabs once...Black Sabbath Tribute band...serious beaming and comb filtering issues...one of those cabs where you walk around the room and certain frequencies are jumping out, keep walking a few feet more and everything drops out...no thanks :D

Cab design and speakers have come a very long way, though I understand the romance for vintage style cabs.

For my personal cabs, I tend to make them look more vintage, but I'll take the Faital or Eminence top of the line drivers in a well designed box over any vintage cab I've ever heard

7. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Marshall has the 4x15 Lemmy K. quad box. You see them on ebay for $1000- 1100 or so.

8. When I saw this thread header, the first thing I thought of before reading anything was Acoustic 408 cab.

9. Korladis

10. louderthangod

louderthangod

Aug 22, 2012
    Alameda, Ca
    I have 3 2x15's and I was thinking that a 4x15 like this would've easier to carry and with those two in the middle might be a bit more unique than just 4 speakers forward. The Sunn 415B would also be cool but I worry about the air space behind them.

11. Man, I am sick hauling a ton of cabs. If I need to be that loud I use my fEARful 1515/66 and a big beefy amp. 130+ dB.

12. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I want to see the port dimensions on that 415. All I see is holes. But the cab does look deep enough that it just might work.

13. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    With WinISD, bassist in Sonance built himself a 4x15, it didn't turn out too stupid sized, and sounds fine.

14. louderthangod

louderthangod

Aug 22, 2012
    Alameda, Ca
    Here's the Sunn 415B
    3I83Ja3Na5Na5J35R0cbgaefcaec691141a30.
    Here's a shot of an open back...by the way, whatever I'd get cab-wise, I'd load it with EV's since that's what I have and that's what I tend to like. I worry that there's not enough air space to really get the depth and volume.
    IMG_2681.

15. I love how everyone that normally says "you shouldnt generalize by speaker size"
    has no problem piling on about a 4x15.
    Community used to make a 4x15. though it was a sub, it may not sound awful with fullrange speakers.
    IIRC both the Community and Marshall "Lemmy" 4x15 were mdf or particle board.

16. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Physical size is a fairly happy generalisation to make about a speaker by diameter.

17. I have an acoustic 408 cabinet. 4-JBL D-140's. two facing out-two in the center one facing up, one facing down. MASSIVE!
    I cant post a pic on this ipad. I'll post later.

18. Korladis

It's true, the dispersion wouldn't be good for the ones that have them side by side. And they would be somewhat heavy.

The monolith stuff just isn't very good.

However, I'm one of those people who normally says "you shouldn't generalize by speaker size," and I say that if a 4x15 is what someone wants, and they don't mind the weight (I wouldn't), that it would probably be pretty awesome if it was a good cab.

19. louderthangod

louderthangod

Aug 22, 2012
    Alameda, Ca
    What's wrong with the Monolith, not that it matters since they don't seem to be in business? You're a fellow Bay Area guy, do you know any local cabinet builder?