Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x4 (rover) question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Oct 21, 2004.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Ok... here is a deal... i've been thinking of rover discovery... found one... 1997 5speed discovery 140k mi prob $4k after I am done with it:D ($5k right now)

I am deeply thinking of getting rovers since I do off roading more often as i used to. I asked around... some say its great some say its BA BA BAAAD... any opinions here?

so far I got... mechanic I used to work for said its BAAAD... a bud who does a lot of off roading says its good.... a guy who works on rovers (and owns 2 of them) (actually said he will give me hook ups so parts will be a bit cheaper) says its great... and 2 guys told me they heard a lot of problems with them....

Does any one had them/worked on them can tell me if I should even go that way... I know they are awesome off road... but I worry about braking down part... if they don’t brake down much but cost much to fix I don’t mind as long as there is a better then good chance of them not braking in middle of the road. What worries me is constant braking down and high price of parts... I know that I will have to look after it like making sure tranny fluid is tops because I hear they got problems with running even a bit empty… like ¾ full type of stuff will kill it… etc

My other choice is... jeep grand Cherokee auto... I know that one is in good shape but I’ve been told they are not great off road because of steering/suspension problem and probably will have troubles (mechanically) with those parts when offroading... plus its a Chrysler... and i wanted to stay away from American made:/ no offense… had to deal with a lot of fords and Chryslers… and well I had good faith in GMs until of plastic manifold.. WTH!??!?!?! Lost faith in that too…

So… any one?

And YEAH i do off roading... so i DO need suv... lets not make it into SUV is bad thing because i do need it... how else will i be able to go kill/hunt/eat defenseless things…

Cheers

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Based on parts cost and availability I would pick the Jeep anyday over the Rover. Also I have found the Jeeps to be very reliable (especially if you get the inline six cylinder engine), and magazines like Four Wheler, Off Roar and Petersen's 4 Wheel are constantly naming the Jeep "Four Wheeler of the Year".

I honestly have little experience with Rovers but have not heard great things about the early to mid 90's versions. In my 22 years of turning wrenches I've seen maybe three in the shop, and most of my parts catalogs dont even have Land Rover listed. there are very few in my area, so I cant imagine what getting parts for one must be like.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    kserg,

Do a search for "land rover" because we've discussed them here before. The thread might be helpful.

brad cook

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

3 is not bad :D

Yeah... but here is a question about jeeps (and this is a reason I didn’t go for search) I’ve heard they have problems with steering suspension when taken them off-road. Something about suspension being too soft and banding when car is off-road. For example hitting a ditch or a rock even on slow speeds can damage your suspension greatly:/

This is the only reason I am doubting buying jeep. It is i6 4.0 too... downside its auto... i don’t like auto :D

What I don’t understand about rovers is... "They will never let you down off-road, will never brake off-road, but they brake a lot" I don’t understand that... do they only brake on the road:/

Digme: thanks... will look into it. my question was of more rover vs. jeep kind of thing:/ and considering I got hook up parts... but ya... i will look into that too:D

edit: ha ha... my comment is in one of them... and i dont agree with it anymore... cuz i know its bs... i:/ damn my brain sucks... i forget alot of things:D

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Landrovers are vehicles that look great and you just want to believe they are well made. They aren't. Better off with a Landcruiser or an early 70's Bronco.

They're great if you $$$ and don't mind seeing them in the shop often.

6. LandRover Discovery (on a scale of 1 to 10):

1) Off road Capability (as far as stock vehicles go): 8

2) Reliability: 3

3) Chance of having major, expensive repairs: low

4) Chance of having minor, inexpensive repairs: high

5) Looks: 9

6) Result of 'Behind the wheel statisfaction of owning one': 9

7) Result of 'I bought something else, but really wanted the Discovery': 1

Just get it - or spend the rest of your life wondering what it would've been like.

-b

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    That 3 and high is what worries me a lot... :)

I actually don’t care what they look like:) I care for off-road... but I guess you are right… I’d hate too see millions of small things brake. I think I’ve decided... I am going for 95ish 4runner v6 5speed or:/

Too bad I go off road... if I didn’t it be easy choice: [​IMG]

Still might get it... but going hunting will be tough / impossible :(

Come to think of it... this threat was very useless thing to do (sorry folks)... i kind of knew the answer but you know how people get when they want something but know its bad for them... I guess i needed insurance that what I am about to do is wrong:/

Thanks

Cheers

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm with Mike N.....a guy I work with has a Discovery, and he is frequently telling us about the high cost of maintenance, and a couple large repair bills.

Tough choice though. Those Discoveries are nice.

-Mike

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have a friend in Edinburgh who has a two year old Freelander. He has 75,000 miles on it and has changed the engine and transmission. All of his mileage is highway. Never offroaded.

My experience in offroading has taught me that Ford and Toyota make durable vehicle that can take abuse.

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Its over... got jeep grand cherokee... thanks guys for advices:)

cant wait to go offroad:)

11. I had a 97 disco, nice vehicle. What do you want to accomplish of road? If you just want to tool around on dirt roads with some mild debris, small rocks, small valleys. the disco stock is very capable. If your looking to turn it into a major rock hopper and do black diamond trails, I say go for the Jeep cherokee. 1) Parts and lift kits are in much more abundance for the cherokee. 2) Parts all around will be much cheeper for the cherokee and alot of used stuff to be had in junk yards for when you smash your transfer case or throw out an axel. 3) A lot more techs can work on the jeep. 4) I'm positive that the cherroke is much lighter and you wont get bogged in mud as easy.

So for mild tooling Disco
    For rock stomping Cherokee

edit
    And I just read your last post so never mind. good choice!

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

:) yeah i wasnt worried about part cost cuz my good friend works on RRs but yeah... went with it.. drives nice... not bad at all

Thanks...

Cheers