Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x8 cabinet???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowfrez, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Anyone know where i could find a 4x8 cabinet. I just bought a ampeg svt3-pro and want to run it through a 4x8. I used to have an ampeg B2 combo with 4x8 and tweeter but played it into the ground. I heard that swr made some of these but, are since discontinued. If you guys would suggest anything else, i'm intristed in 210 cabs. I play in an acoustic rock band and don't really want to lug a 100+ lb. cab, i'm just basicly trying to find a small cabinet with some awesome tone.

2. I would say that your best bet is to try and find a used SWR 4x8.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    There's a "package" deal at bass central -- $1000 for a
    SWR 350 and a 4x8 cab. You might bargain for just the cab?...

[​IMG]

Also, Hambone (setup moderator) just got a boat-load
    of 8" speakers. Maybe he could build ya' a cab :).

4. thanks notduane i think i'll try that.....

5. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Hey,I found one of those older Ampeg B2's with the 4x8 and tweeter used last February,and I got it pretty cheap (350) with a Tuki cover.I did a bunch of gigs with it in small clubs with a Bag End 1x15 as an extension and I liked it fine.What happened with yours? Ampeg did make a 4x8 cab for a while,I forgot the name,though.The old version of the SWR Silverado was a 4x8 combo.

6. Man, I come in here to get some info on what to build for my stack-o-cones and now I'm buildin' a dude a cab?? Sheeesh! :rolleyes:

I would love to entertain thoughts on a proper cabinet size. I've built about 3 different cabinets for various functions but this one is a puzzler. Even WinISD goes to pieces when I try messin with these 8's. There is also the issue that these are no-name whatevers that probably have never seen a shadow of a Thiele equation. If someone's got a good design we can copy let me know.

I'm sorta thinking along the lines of finally getting to realize a true bi-amp system for myself. I would like it to be expandable too so the 8's might work in nicely. As the top to a killer 15" cab, a 4x8 or 2 - 2x8's might just be a winner. The best rig I can conceive right now would be a bi-amp stereo rig with that combination on both sides of the drummer.

Mmmmmmmmm sweet!

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My favourite - best sounding ever - cab is my Euphonic Audio VL208 and these are readily available and may fit the bill. These have 4 main drivers - 2 X 8" and 2 X 5 and quarter; plus a tweeter.

lowfrez said:

"I play in an acoustic rock band and don't really want to lug a 100+ lb. cab, i'm just basicly trying to find a small cabinet with some awesome tone. "

The VL208 is very portable and only weighs about 40lbs - it has awesome tone to my ears and I would suggest trying one.

8. that sounds great Hambone, i love those 8's. When i had that old ampeg combo with the 8's in it, i had a svt-15 cab for an extension speaker and what a tone. Such a sweet tone form an all SS amp. HEY BRUCE, where can i try one of those out around my area???, and is there a website??

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ampeg made a 4x8 cab for a while a few years ago (also an 8x8). There must be some used ones out there.

10. SWR still makes the 8x8. You could go with that cab.

11. BTW, would you say that the 8x8 is really just good for 4 string basses and not 5 stringers? Or is it ok with a 5 string as long as you have a 15 cab?

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - at least 2 - try :

http://www.euphonicaudio.com/

13. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    The 8x8 cab actually goes the lowest of all swr cabs, I used one for the last 2-3 years and sold it and now I kinda wish I had it back. It will go lower than almost all 15's and punch you square in the jaw while doing it. Yes it will take a low b.:D

14. So i should have no worry of blowing out the cab if i were to get one and use it with a 5 stringer?

15. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I wouldnt think so. I used mine with a hartke 7000, I dont play a 5 string but i do tune down to c# and I have a 35scale 4 string that I use a set of 5er strings and leave off the g string and never had any problems plus its really quite portable for what it is. If you go with swr that is imo the best swr cab.

16. This Puppy Pumps Out the Low B
    [​IMG]

17. Alright cool, then i will definately keep that in mind when i do my new rig shopping. Right now i'm looking at these three options for the setup. For sure, i want the head to be the SWR Mo' Bass. As for cabs, i'm looking either SWR Henry the 8x8, SWR Megoliath, or Two Mesa 4x10s.

18. I may consider the SM-900 head, but leaning strongly towards the Mo' Bass, played it and it rocks.

19. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I like mesa cabs but they are to hefty for me, they are built like a russian tank or built like a peavey but sound a hell of alot better. Thats funny peavey makes some of the lowest dollar stuff but it sure does last along time.

friendlybass likes this.
  20. Well for me, i figure i'll deal with the weight. I mean, it's not like if i go with the the Megoliath or Henry the 8x8 that i'll be able to transport those alone, at least not up steps anyway. So weight at this point isn't a big deal. And last time i played them, the Mesa cabs so beat out the SWR for me. But i still have more testing to do before i spend more money.