Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x8 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StuBass, Dec 27, 2003.

1. StuBass

StuBass

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I'm planning on downsizing my rig but going up in quality. I think it's SWR that make the 4x8 cabs. I've only played one for a couple of minutes in a store(played with shop bass,amp,etc.) I like the idea that they are pretty small and was thinking of getting two.

Does anyone own or tried one of these boxes and are they still manufactured.
    Thanks for any input!

2. XBartX

XBartX

Dec 14, 2003
    Are you sure that SWR produces a 4x8 cab? I only know of some 8x8 cabs from them (also tried them). If you're searching deep bottom end this is NOT the cab for you but if you're looking for clean highs as hell and good mids, this would be a great cab. I also can recommend it for "true" slapping machines.
    But if you're really searching 4x8 cabs I can't help you out.

btw: click here to have a look at the 8x8 cab.

3. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Ashdown makes a 4*8 cab (I think.....)

4. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Ampeg used to.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    SWR used to make a 4x8 (Henry Jr. if I recall correctly).

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Ashdown makes a "mini" 4x8" cab. It is really punchy, and light weight. However, for not much more, you could get a Euphonic Audio CXL112L that will be lighter, and IMO kill the Ashdown in sound. It is punchy, deep, and incredibly articulate.

7. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Wow, does Pnut really use 8x8? He has really deep bottom in his tone if I remember correctly...

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I heard the opposite, actually, about the 8x8s. Specs say it's the 2nd deepest sounding cab in the SWR line, next to the Big Ben, and I think a few users here say the same. :)

9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

:rolleyes:

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Low Down Sound makes custom cabs, and they make both 4x8's and 8x8's which I hear are pretty darn impressive. They use long-throw woofers, and have good bass extension.

Check them out at www.lowdownsound.com.

Later, Tom.

11. I think Pnut uses two 8x8 cabs and two 4x10's, but I may be wrong.

The great thing about the 8x8 isn't the speakers, but the speaker cabinet design. It's a big, deep cabinet with three huge ports on the front. With the coupling of the speakers, the bass is very well defined and deep. Plus, they're special Celestion drivers, designed with a very long excursion. It's not the diameter of the speaker which produces bass, it's how far in and out they can go to produce the long wavelength bass frequencies. Those 8's do good.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I had a gig where I was already set up to use the previous bassist's Henry the 8x8. Plus, I had a Carvin Cyclops that had two 8"s in it.

And I'll never use an 8" again. They sound "chirpy" to me.

Maybe it's just me - but if the thang doesn't have at least one 15", it just don't mean a thang.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I tried the Henry the 8x8, and I was not very impressed at all. However, I understand that the custom cabs from Low Down Sound sound more like an SVT stack than the Henry the 8x8. But yes, most 8's aren't going to have a ton of low end. The Ashdown Mini48 sounds much better with the Mini15 under it. I own a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse, Jr., which has one 12, and 4 8's, and it's a pretty nice sounding cab (lots of midrange cut and punch), but it definitely sounds better with a deeper sounding cab underneath.

Tom.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Actually, it can be either design or something in between.

A friend of mine had an EV Patrician 800 (hi-fi speaker system). Each cab has a 30" woofer. The speakers are extremely efficient. He was driving them with a 60wpc tube amp playing pipe organ music with notes down to 16Hz. I think the walls were moving as much as the woofers; they were designed for very small excursion because of their efficiency. But they definitely moved the air.

15. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
  16. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    just because they are smaller does not mean that they don't have good bottom....

the best bass speaker is a 5 1/2 speaker..it may not be earth shaking..but it has the best response...really tight..

the 8x8 cabs rock...those cabs have bottom..

steve

17. THE 4X8 (HENRY JUNIOR)

Introduced in 1994, the 4x8 was originally designed to be run as an extension to the Silverado Combo but later became popular as part of a modular system that included the Bass 350 and Basic 2-Way. The 4x8 was discontinued in 1997.

Impedance: 8 ohms
    Power Handling Capacity: 250 watts RMS
    Four custom 8" PAS drivers
    One Piezo tweeter
    Weight: 55 lbs
    Size: 23"W x 19.8"H x 16.5"D

Production Period: 1994 to 1997
    Final Retail Price: $699.00
    Current Similar SWR Model: N/A

18. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I've got the Ashdown Mini 4*8. To my ears it has a fairly flat repsonse across all frequencies, but it neither excels at low end or at the top end. Its very much a comprimise cab. It doesn't have that rumble you get from a 15 or the high end response from a cab with a tweeter.

I run mine bi-amped with the matching Ashdown mini 1*15 to add some rumble.

All in all its a nice lightweight rig for small to medium venues. If I was playing anywhere bigger I'd expect there to be a PA to plug into...

------------------------------------------
    Edited to add

This is a thread which has a few mini cabs on it

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90766&

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think that statement doesn't align with my experience. Even Gard, the TB legend at basscentral.com , will tell you that a new SVT has practically no bass response when you get below 60 Hz's. It's all "mid's". The Carvin 18" I own, and the Carvin with 2-8"s I used to own, does the same thing - below 40 Hz's, it wimps out, big time.

Ya gotta move air to put the thump in the bump on the dance floor.........and that means bigger and better woofers! Thankfully, I got some Edens that don't mess around.

20. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I understand your opinion, and for the most part it is correct. However, there are a few manufacturers (namely Phil Jones) who get around that by other means.