1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4x8 extension cab

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by steve chase, Aug 27, 2002.

1. During the summer I have,on more than one occasion,found a need for more volume or headroom than my current setup will allow (Ashdown ABM C110-300).Whilst I find this an excellent amp I am considering the purchase of an extension cab.Question; has anybody tried a 4x8 cab with DB ? and if so what are your thoughts.
    Thanks.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I have not played that particular cabinet, but I enjoy using my Euphonic Audio VL-208 cabinets, which have two eights, two fives, and one horn. Like tens, they have great transient response and clarity, and a turn of the bass control will fatten them up. These are of a transmission line design, not a regular front ported speaker, so I can't speak to the 4x8 you mention. However, if you are concerned that they might not have sufficient low frequency response, I would not worry if they were designed for bass.

3. Bob, you are like a coiled spring.

Thanks for the prompt reply, the cab I have in mind is the Ashdown 4x8 which is designed for bass and as a bonus is exactly the same size as the Ashdown combo,so it would look neat in a stack or positioned across the stage.
    My concern was that the 8" speakers would only produce mid to high frequencies rather than low.
    Would this be a good combination with the 1x10 or would another 10" be a better match?

4. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    i dont know about 4x8s. but i have a swr 2x10 and it sounds great. you had said maybe i should just get another ten to get more bottom and my two tens have plenty of bottom.

5. I use an SWR 4x8, and it's the best sounding, and best projecting cab I've ever played through. I also play 5 string BG, and it handles that low B better than my SWR 1x15 which I add to it on big gigs. Just do it, ya wont be sorry!

6. Tried to do it but when my back was turned somebody bought it on a `buy it now` bid.
    Thanks for the replies,I will consider a similar item if it comes up in the future.