Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x8 or 2x10 ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by birminghambass, May 18, 2005.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Need some advice on whether to get an Ampeg 4x8 or 2x10. Both are available for the same price, have the same power rating, same relative size and weight. Which one would be more suitable for a cover gig that covers rock, funk, and some metal? I will be using an 350w head and another 1x15 cab with it. I tried them out in the store, but it's SO hard to make any judgements in a store. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Howdy neighbor. Is there an Ampeg dealer in Birmingham?

3. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Bailey Bros. carries them here in the 'Ham, but not in Montgomery.

4. 2 x 10

I may be wrong but 8's carrying bass????

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The right ones will. Try out a SWR or Yorkville 8x8 cab sometime. :p

Go for the 4x8. It will be bigger and heavier, but will sound better I would guess (I'm not a big fan of Ampeg's 2x10).

6. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Yep, 8's... Been lovin' mine so far...

Attached Files:

7. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Wait a sec...

Does Ampeg really make a 4x8???

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The 4x8 is a killer little box ... be different! Use 8s!

9. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    2X10

10. i like the sound of 8 inch speakers too. i have a ampeg 4 x10 hlf tho. i all most got a mesa 4x8 with a 12 in the center cab. i wanna add a 2x18 and a 1x15 .

11. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Both cabs are circa 1995. I don't think ampeg has made the 4x8 for several years. I have never played any other cab with 8's, but obviously 10's are quite popular for bass. And you're right, the 4x8 is about 20lbs heavier.

12. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    What is the power rating on the Ampeg 4x8???

13. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    But I couldn't help noticing two people from AL....

WAR D@MN EAGLE!

[​IMG]

14. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Both cabs are 200w @8ohms. BTW, thanks for the props. I graduated from AU in '99.

15. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I graduated from UGA and am therefore obligated to hate you both....

JK... I've got lots of friends who went to Auburn...

So, with that little bit of nastiness aside, 200 watts, seems a little low for a 4x8... Of course it all depends on the amp and set up, I guess...

My Ashdown 4x8 is rated at 600 watts and is loud as balls...

16. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    All of Ampegs classic series cabs power ratings are very low. Their 4x10 from the mid 90s is also rated @ 200w.

17. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I haven't tried the Ampeg 2x10 or 4x8 cabs you're talking about but have done some listening tests involving Trace Elliot and Ashdown 4x8s. I generally found them a bit harsh on their own but great in tandem with another, larger speaker.

I think either would probably do but would tend to lean to the 4x8 option, as shown in Th9nker's rig. However, the acid test is how it sounds to you. Can you get down to the store at a quiet time, with the other parts of your existing rig, your bass (and any FX) and a couple of bandmates? That would give you the best chance of getting some solid testing in before committing your money.

Wulf

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Wow - same rig as I have (although I only have an EVO I....)

Also don't have a T-Bird.....yet! :D

I would also plug the thread starter go with the 4 x 8. I've actually found the Ashdown 4 x 8 with the Ashdown head goes great on it's own! But the 1 x 15 as well as the 4 x 8 jut fills up the sound nicely! :bassist:

19. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I had that classic series 4X8 cab with the dinky tweeter in the middle, the 8's had rubber surrounds making them able to go pretty low for a bass cab with 8's. My issue with that cab was the low end was a little "soft" sounding. Could have been other factors involved, as well as the efficiency of the cab left a little to be desired. One of the speakers blew and that was it for me, later babee. I'd consider an avatar 2-10 instead.

20. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA

You a SOAD fan? :p