4x8" - speakers: Does anybody use (and like !) them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jfsjbb, Sep 14, 2000.

1. jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    I'm just curious:

When I'm playing my warwick 4x8" combo (300w, 2048xt) , people often tell me "That's no bass speaker, not even a guitar speaker"

I like them, though. Does anybody else use them regularily, and what do you think about them?

How comes that you see 18"s sometimes, 15"s a lot, 12"s rarely, 10" all the time, 8"s hardly ever?
  2. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    I've only seen two cabintes with 8'' speakers.
    A 4x8 ampeg cabinet,and a 8x8 swr henry cabinet.
    I guess swr was tryin' to do the 8x10 thing but with smaller speakers.

About the person that said those are not bass speakers their not even guitar speakers. It doesn't really matter,
    whatever sounds good to you, use it.

About why their are hardly any 8'' speakers.
    Check the thread on 12'' speakers. People explain in
    their why a lot of manufactures don't make em.

Greg P

[Edited by reel big bassist on 09-14-2000 at 08:24 AM]
  3. jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    As i said before, i like that special 4x8" sound.

Why? - It's very punchy, tight and fast, no need for tweeters or horns. They transmit a high C string as well as the low B. They are definitely worth a try.

You never have trouble with too much low end on the stage, and the sound engineers i worked with so far appreciated that (and, as you may know, if they feel comfortable ther's a good chance that you will feel comfortable too!).

I'm not a friend of bringing huge stacks on stage. A small to medium combo (small to me is, let's say a GK 150 MB, medium is anything in the 200-300 watts league) will play most of the gigs. If the stage is too big for a 300W-combo, you're lost without a PA with monitoring. That provided there's no need for the Big Ones.
  4. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I played an Ampeg SVT3 through an Ampeg 4x8" cab and was really impressed with the sound it produced. It handled a 5 string really well, even the low B. It was pretty loud as well, and had good punch. A lot of larger cabs sound "floppy" and hollow, but the 4x8" seemed well suited for quick, accurate playing.

just my 2 cents...
  5. Fitty

Sep 12, 2000
    I agree with "reel big bassist". If It Sounds Good it is good.
  6. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I'd like to hear a 4x8 or a 8x8 sometime. Think it would sound good. I have a 4x10 now and that is the cab of choice at the time. However, I would like to put a 18" sub on the bottom. I play a lot of detuned 5-string and a 18" would be a **** load of fun if nothing else. But still, what ever sounds good to you is good.