4x8 VS 4x10 VS 4x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Oct 28, 2005.

1. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Sorry for posting so much lately, I am still picking our what cab I want and you guys are a mountain of information :cool:
    What are the biggest differences in sound between each cab mentioned in the title? I can see there being a difference in lows for a 4x8 VS a 4x12, but what about 4x10 VS 4x12???
  2. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    it would really depend totally on what 4x8, 4x10, and 4x12 you are talking about. there is a huge range in whats available for 4x10's as far as frequency response, efficiency, tone, etc. my 4x8 cab goes lower and louder than alot of 4x10's. but then there are other 4x8's that can't really handle a low b very well. i haven't had much experience with 4x12 cabs, but i would think there is also a big difference depending on which one you are playing through.

what style of music do you play? what other gear would you be using the cab with?
  3. Sojourner

Sojourner Supporting Member

I've always heard people say that 12" drivers were a "best of both worlds" sort of thing for them versus a 10" or 15" speaker. The punchiness of a 10 and the low end of a 15. I've never used one, so I can't say from experience. A 4x8 would definitely be pretty punchy, but like it's been said, all of these things will depend on the drivers and cabinet.
  4. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Thanks for the reply. I shoulda been more specific.
    The music I play is hard rock. I have a Spector European series 5-string, and I also use a Zoom multi effects pedal primarily because the pre amp gives so much more power. I also like the intergrated tuner, but do not use many effects other than chorus and the occasional flanger or distortion.

As far as an amp goes, I would have to say something that puts out at least 350W into 4 ohms, it will most likely be a solid state amp however I will consider a Tube or Hybrid. Some brands I have in mind are Ampeg, GK and Peavey.

4x10's are easy to come by so I have not had trouble finding many to choose from. The only 4x12 I found was by Aguilar and its out of my price range. The only brand I have looked at who makes a 4x8 cab is Ashdown.
  5. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    if you're playing hard rock, 12's might be the best way to go. if the aguilar 4x12 is too expensive, consider the aguilar 2x12, one of the other many 2x12 cabs out there. alot of the rock guys here like the schroeder 1212, it puts out ALOT of volume, and you may not need a 4x12 cab...
  6. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Thanks for the help. I notice you live in Ann Arbor, MI., have you been to the Guitar Center on Gration Ave. in Roseville lately? How is their selection of Bass cabs/heads? Do they carry Schoreder?

7. Mesa makes a 4x12, in both the Powerhouse and RoadReady versions, and I'm sure it's less expensive than the Aggie.

8. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    I will have to check that out, although I doubt that Mesa will be less than Aggie based on the prices of the Mesa gear. Im gonna take a look.

9. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i haven't been to that particular guitar center, but i have been to the gc in canton and in southfield plenty of times...the selection is okay for your mainstream grear, like ampeg, swr, gk, etc. but they don't have much in the higher end category, like epifani, bergantino, aguilar, eden, etc...but you should really check out low down sound, in ferndale. its on 9 mile off of woodward, just north of detroit. its an all bass store, and they have a much better selection of gear. also the employees are all great bass players with tons of knowledge.

i don't know of anywhere in there area that carries schroeder cabs, they don't have as large of a distribution deal...
  10. If you are looking for a killer 4x12 cab then the Peavey TVX 4x12 is a sure bet. deep/punchy and very articulate. Will handle 600 watts and not Break a sweat. They are no longer made but they might have a new one there that they did not sell or you could look for a used one. I have one and run a Mesa Boogie M-2000 head through it with 1) a Fender American Jazz Bass. 2 )A peavey Cirrus 5. 3) Epiphone Les Paul Deluxe 4 string. And they sound great through it. I play mostly classic rock and blues. Hope this helps. YMMV :bassist:
  11. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    in my experience, albeit limited, the brand and alignment/design of the speaker cab has more to do with than the actual size of each driver.

I would love to see a study done where you have no idea which cab is being hooked up, and you had to describe the tone and then guess the cab.

Example, i have a smallish custom made 12 that is all mids. ZERO bottom (nothing below say the upper 100's low 200's).

Next, i have a big ole stereo speaker in a 1.8 cubic foot sealed box that i play my bass though at times (though low volume) that is smoother and deeper. so, are 8's lower than 12's? my 12 gets a good rough sound (growl?) when i crank it up. if i cranked the 8 I would kill it. are 12's growlier?

My friends 10" EA gets as good of bottom, ok, probably better, than my 15" hartke. are 10's lower? My hartke 15 is pretty tight, (despite what i am finding is some peoples low view of them.) Are 15's tighter than 12's? And so on.

i would LOVE to play this game. I always do crap like this anyway (give someone cheep wine and explain how good it is, or switch vodkas in our martinis, or turn my bass way down during sound checks to see ifthe soundman is worth a damn.

Anyway, thats my 85 cents on that.
  12. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Thanks, I will have to take a look at this place when I am in the area!
  13. wall of doom

wall of doom

Sep 17, 2005
    Just a thought. Have you looked into Genz benz, they've got a Neo 2x12 that I tried out with my M pulse 600. I think it goes for under $800.. and it sounds good.
  14. LOL! That is hilarious. Although I would feel bad for the idiot that agrees with the cheap wine being good. I don't have the guts to set him straight. As for the soundman, I have done this before. He was telling me to "turn down... lower... lower.... lower... perfect." Problem is I had the amp off since the first "lower"!!!!! Turned out to be a boomy guitar amp (facing the stage).
  15. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    After doing some extensive research I think I have made my decision and will be going with a Schroeder 1212. As of now I am basing this decision from the reviews on the TB forums and some emails from Jorg Schroeder. I will be trying out a Schroeder 1212 next Friday and if I like what I hear, it shall be mine! My new amp should also be in at that time so I will get to try it out with the cabinet. I am pretty frickin' excited!! :hyper:
  16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Get two Avatar or Dr Bass 2X12 cabs. Modular, and I bet even one cabinet might surprise you.
  17. Padams4

Mar 13, 2006
    Just ordered the Boogie roadready 4x12. Should have in a week or so. Will update when I get it.